Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2019, 05:13 AM   #1

Dome Light Only Works With Key On

Hello.
Here's something odd. I've searched the forums, but haven't found anything quite like it:

When I open either door, my dome light doesn't come on. However, if I have the key on, the dome light works as it should when opening/closing the door. It's obviously not a burned out bulb or a power issue.

Also, I don't know if it's related or not but the power lock button stopped working. The car never came with a key fob, and the power locks worked only after I fixed my immobilizer. But now the button doesn't do anything regardless of key position.

And while I'm at it, my trunk release only works with the key on. It's always been this way since I've owned the car. It this normal?

piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:36 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
No, it's not normal. You could try replacing the ignition switch, but I doubt that's your issue.
All of your issues can be tied to the immobilizer. Since it's had problems before, seems likely.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
All of your issues can be tied to the immobilizer. Since it's had problems before, seems likely.
That's not what I wanted to hear LOL. When I fixed my Immobilizer, I got a good used one and swapped the EEPROMs. My other one got wet before I bought the car. It hasn't been wet during my possession, so I'm hoping it's not the same problem.

Thanks for the input.

I have an extra ignition switch that I can easily swap out to try the trunk release. I'll post the results when I get to it, but it may not be for a few weeks.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:32 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I see. If you swapped the immobilizer out and there has been no water intrusion since then, the next in line is the immobilizer connectors. Clean the heck out of them.

They surely picked up some rust/corrosion when the last immobilizer got wet. If you cleaned them when swapping, they probably just need to be redone.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I see. If you swapped the immobilizer out and there has been no water intrusion since then, the next in line is the immobilizer connectors. Clean the heck out of them.

They surely picked up some rust/corrosion when the last immobilizer got wet. If you cleaned them when swapping, they probably just need to be redone.
Good idea! Thanks! I didn't think to clean them.