Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2019, 02:38 AM   #1
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Transmission Filter Kit

I'm noticing some disparate pricing on the transmission filter kits.

AC Delco filter and gasket for ~$18

Napa ~$28

WIX ~$24

And some other brands ~$30 to $90

Is there a brand to avoid? Is there a big difference in quality? Should I go OEM?

I don't want to spend $90 on a kit if I don't have to. I try to subscribe to the, "If it's attaching to the engine or transmission it's OEM".

And, do I need to use the Pentosin when doing the fluid change... or what aftermarket fluid is recommended?

Thank you.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:10 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
I'm noticing some disparate pricing on the transmission filter kits.

AC Delco filter and gasket for ~$18

Napa ~$28

WIX ~$24

And some other brands ~$30 to $90

Is there a brand to avoid? Is there a big difference in quality? Should I go OEM?

I don't want to spend $90 on a kit if I don't have to. I try to subscribe to the, "If it's attaching to the engine or transmission it's OEM".

And, do I need to use the Pentosin when doing the fluid change... or what aftermarket fluid is recommended?

Thank you.
Wix makes NAPA filters, so they are the same, and very well made, and are much better quality than the OEM. We have used Wix filters exclusively for years.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:43 AM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Wix makes NAPA filters, so they are the same, and very well made, and are much better quality than the OEM. We have used Wix filters exclusively for years.
Thank you, Jeff. That's the route I'll take.

I respect your advice upon this forum, and often follow it. Thus, in my effort to plan out my transmission fluid/filter effort I'm finding a lot of differing information. I would appreciate your direction. Here is my plan:

Loosen fill plug on transmission.

Remove drain plug/seal.

Drain fluid.

Remove transmission pan (following specific bolt-pattern removal process). Question: Must I remove the rear sway bar to drop the transmission pan?

Once the pan is out I'll inspect it. I'll drop the filter, and inspect it. Clean the pan.

Install the new filter.

Position gasket. Install pan.

Install drain plug.

Since I'm just draining however much will drain... gravity... which brand/type fluid would you recommend? And, how many quarts/gallons? I've read that the Porsche fluid is the only way to go, but cede to your recommendation.

I've read on how to fill with fluid... warm the transmission... run it through the gears... measure... repeat.

Finally, in addition to the inquiries above, any "while you're in there" recommendations? Any special tips/tricks for the transmission fluid/filter replacement?

In conclusion, and in advance, thank you for your consideration of my inquiries. I consider you the final source in this matter, and your recommendations are my "go-to" moving forward.

Cheers.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:05 AM   #4

The sway bar is not in the way, but some like to remove it. The triangular plate and braces have to come out however.

You will only partially drain the trans as the converter will remain full. We only use the OEM fluid, usually 4-5 quarts.

You also need to have inch pound and ft. lb. torque wrenches available, being sure to tighten the pan bolts to the recommended torque spec in the correct sequence,
Old 07-03-2019, 09:26 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The sway bar is not in the way, but some like to remove it. The triangular plate and braces have to come out however.

You will only partially drain the trans as the converter will remain full. We only use the OEM fluid, usually 4-5 quarts.

You also need to have inch pound and ft. lb. torque wrenches available, being sure to tighten the pan bolts to the recommended torque spec in the correct sequence,
Thank you, Jeff. I'll pick up a 5 qt jug of the Pentosin, measuring how much is drained. If I need another quart/liter I'll run to the store.

Have a great day!

Last edited by Starter986; 07-03-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:49 PM   #6
Will there be cake?

Garage
FYI. You can swing the braces out of the way, leave the bolts up front in but loosened.

This is a tip? Get a remote read thermometer to make sure the tranny gets up to temp and you need a fluid pump to move the oil in.
Be prepared for the giant hex bolt too, i think it’s a 19?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:35 AM   #7
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
FYI. You can swing the braces out of the way, leave the bolts up front in but loosened.

This is a tip? Get a remote read thermometer to make sure the tranny gets up to temp and you need a fluid pump to move the oil in.
Be prepared for the giant hex bolt too, i think it’s a 19?

Thanks, Tony. I've had those braces off, before, and appreciate the swinging tip.

I've got the fluid pump... but not yet the remote read. I don't want to spend a mint on a tool I'll use, well, likely not often. Any recommendations? Harbor Freight?

I'll check on that hex bolt. Would hate to get under there and come up short.

Thanks, and Cheers!
Old 07-04-2019, 07:18 AM   #8
Will there be cake?

Garage
Drain plug takes a huge hex, remote read thermos are cheap and if it works, it works.
I use mine for everything, even telling my girlfriend I can see her getting angry. Hah hah.

tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:42 AM   #9
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Not knowing when last the transmission fluid/filter was changed, and based upon what I've been reading, I can expect to drop from 3.5 to 7 liters of fluid. I'll purchase two 5 quart jugs of Pentosin. The question(s):

When should I replace the filter?

1. Should I drain... install filter... fill... drive... drain... fill?

2. Drain... fill... drive... drain... install filter... fill?

The two "drains" are because I'll have 10 quarts... the first drain lets say 5 quarts... likewise the second drain and fill. I'm not looking to completely flush the system five times instead introducing new fluid in a couple efforts.

I'd like the new filter to have the "cleanest" fluid running through it... so I'm thinking the second scenario. Maybe I'm overthinking this?

Thank you.