View Single Post
Old 07-03-2019, 07:43 AM   #3
Starter986
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Wix makes NAPA filters, so they are the same, and very well made, and are much better quality than the OEM. We have used Wix filters exclusively for years.
Thank you, Jeff. That's the route I'll take.

I respect your advice upon this forum, and often follow it. Thus, in my effort to plan out my transmission fluid/filter effort I'm finding a lot of differing information. I would appreciate your direction. Here is my plan:

Loosen fill plug on transmission.

Remove drain plug/seal.

Drain fluid.

Remove transmission pan (following specific bolt-pattern removal process). Question: Must I remove the rear sway bar to drop the transmission pan?

Once the pan is out I'll inspect it. I'll drop the filter, and inspect it. Clean the pan.

Install the new filter.

Position gasket. Install pan.

Install drain plug.

Since I'm just draining however much will drain... gravity... which brand/type fluid would you recommend? And, how many quarts/gallons? I've read that the Porsche fluid is the only way to go, but cede to your recommendation.

I've read on how to fill with fluid... warm the transmission... run it through the gears... measure... repeat.

Finally, in addition to the inquiries above, any "while you're in there" recommendations? Any special tips/tricks for the transmission fluid/filter replacement?

In conclusion, and in advance, thank you for your consideration of my inquiries. I consider you the final source in this matter, and your recommendations are my "go-to" moving forward.

Cheers.