Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2019, 06:14 PM   #1

Changed Plugs Now Got Cylinder 3 Misfire

Got a 2002 Boxster with the 2.7, Pretty much as soon as I got it the AOS went out so I replaced it with a genuine Porsche part and everything was good but I kept getting smoke coming out of the drivers side vent so decided to go ahead and replace all the Spark Plugs and Spark Plug tubes which turned out to be fairly straight forward.

Once I cranked the car it ran smoother but then almost instantly developed a slight miss, I took it for a spin and it seem to drive and rev a heck of alot smoother then before with exception of the miss. Upon returning I scanned the code and got a Cylinder 3 Misfire code so I swapped out the coil packs from Cylinder 3 > Cylinder 2 and vis versa. Took it for a spin until the code came back which to my surprise was for Cylinder 3 Misfire again

Tomorrow I was going to switch out spark plugs as maybe its a faulty spark plug.

Just want to make sure Cylinder 3 is the one on the passenger side furthest back towards the rear of the car vs the Cylinder closest to the cabin on the passenger side

gti13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:21 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Yes, cylinder 3 is the rearmost on passenger side. I think your plan is sound. If it didn't follow the coil pack, swap plugs and see if it follows.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:27 PM   #3

Great will try that, I did have a little issue with the rear most on the passenger side plug so was hoping it was not that Cylinder. Really hope its just a faulty spark plug and it just revved so much smoother was not expecting to notice any difference in the butt dyno
Old 06-26-2019, 05:42 AM   #4

Check your connection to the coil pack first. They may look attached but might not be.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:47 AM   #5

Garage
What was you "little issue"?
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:53 AM   #6

When you changed the plugs did you remove the rear tires and inner fender wells to access? If not it is much easier than trying from underneath

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
mmassey0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
What was you "little issue"?
(Cylinder 1)

I got the Spark Plug and Tube changed out without an issue. The boot however for the coil pack plug got pulled over plug and I had problem pushing it up but finally decided to make a small slit in the boot at the very top just enough so I could slide it back up.

The connection is deff not an issue as I switched out coil packs yesterday from from 3>2 2>3 and still had a misfire on the same cylinder.

Yes I had the car jacked up with fender liner and rim removed and it was surprisingly easy to access compared to the AOS which was a PITA
Old 06-26-2019, 06:49 PM   #8

Took out the the plug and felt a slight lip, then all of a sudden it ran all the way up the plug so looks like it was just a bad spark plug yay