Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2019, 07:14 PM   #1

Is there a limp mode on a Tiptronic transmission?

I have a 2004 Boxster base with a Tiptronic. Like the title says, is there a limp mode on the transmission? For example I was climbing a steep grade on a mountain road, and the grade got really steep before I could give it more gas or select a lower gear, the car suddenly seemed to go out of gear and I coasted to stop. I shifted into Park then Drive again and everything seemed to be fine after that. Any advice or ideas, I'm stumped!

Thanks fellow Porsche Enthusiasts!

Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:31 PM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
There is a limp mode. Mine kicked into it as I was having a charging issue. The voltage dropped too low and the dash started flashing and was stuck in 4th gear. All I could do was pull over. Mine is a 97. Once I corrected the low voltage issue, the tip was fine. Keep the revs up, my understanding is these engines don't like to be lugged.

I found this blurb on-line.

From the manual
Emergency program
A transmission fault is indicated by the following symptoms:
1 4th gear flashes on the display of the instrument cluster.
2 The warning "Tiptronic emergency run" appears in the on-board computer.
3 The transmission no longer shifts.
>$@ Reverse gear lock monitoring is disabled in the emergency running program. Damage to the vehicle may result as well as loss of control, if the vehicle is moving forward fast enough to cause rear wheel lockup.
Do not shift into R while the vehicle is moving forward. >$@
Proceed as follows in the event of a transmission fault:
1. Stop in a safe place.
2. Move selector lever to position P, switch the ignition off and wait for 10 seconds.
3. Start the engine.
2nd gear in selector position D and reverse gear R are now available and will allow you to reach the nearest authorized Porsche dealer.
4. To remedy the fault, please consult an authorized Porsche dealer immediately.

rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote