Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2019, 09:24 AM   #1

Cab adjustment again

Sorry if this has been a topic before.
While I am waiting for some parts; i was thinking that it could be good to have the top and the clamshell in a better working order. After a lot of fidling with arm lenghts; I have given up to get the perfect aligment of the top and camshell. I have not found an solution where both the top and clamshell are in end position. If the top matches the windsheld, the clamshell will not go flush with lid..

So, I have taken of the parts for the electric movement and will go manual operation until winter storage.

Does still have a problem to get the clamshell flush in passenger side. Seems like the top are to high or to close to the clamshell. I have tried to adjust the screw that holds the wire under, but not sure if it is adjusting the height. Could be that the wire simply are stretched, so that the top gets to high and pushes the clamshell up.

Any hints to get the top more forward or lower would be toppers.

Geir Nordvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:53 AM   #2

Maybe you're trying to adjust the wrong parts. My top didn't align perfectly with the windshield when I bought it, but everything else looked right. I disconnected one of the drive cables from drive motor or transmission (not sure what it's called) and turned one of them manually until it looked even.

I opened the roof to the 'service position' and then took a measuring tape from the edge of the roof to the edge of the windshield on both sides, and turn the cable manually until they were even. And Viola! It now aligns perfectly every time I close it.

This video will help identify which cables I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5AuGmAu7wI
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:55 AM   #3
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
If you have one side of the clamshell sitting higher than the other, then it's possible the drive gear inside is cracked. As they're plastic (a sacrificial part), it will happen as the cars get older. Replacements are available from eBay, among other vendors. I did this job on my mom's 987 at the end of last year after a pushrod end cap (also sacrificial plastic) snapped.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
If you have one side of the clamshell sitting higher than the other, then it's possible the drive gear inside is cracked. As they're plastic (a sacrificial part), it will happen as the cars get older. Replacements are available from eBay, among other vendors. I did this job on my mom's 987 at the end of last year after a pushrod end cap (also sacrificial plastic) snapped.
No arms to motor attached. Have taken off both cab arms and clamshells arms. So clamshell can be moved freely. It seems that the corner of the cab are restricting the clamshell to move more down/back.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
I started the battle with an alligment of both marks at the gears. Set both marks at both sides. Cab did then go perfectly good to the windscreen. could not get both clamshell and windscreen be nice at the same time.

So all arms are away from the clamshell and cab for now.
Now I am looking to find a way to make the clamshell go flush at right side of the car.
Left side are ok.