Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2019, 06:56 AM   #1
Laminar Flow

Question Leaky strut cleanup

My Boxster is just full of surprises. I've got hydraulic fluid from leaking struts all over the front suspension (wheel carrier, control arm, wishbone, etc.), the wheel liner, and even on the inside of the rims. (Obviously, I'll be replacing the struts.)

I thought about just using brake cleaner for cleanup, but I didn't want to hose everything in the wheel wells off with 10 cans of the stuff splattering everywhere. (I also didn't know if it would take the paint off the calipers; I'm trying to keep the gray Special Edition paint intact). I'm trying to be mindful of the speed and brake pad sensors, too. Can I get away with just using soapy water with a hose and a brush to clean everything? A degreaser and/or cleaning wipes? I'm not trying to detail the wheel well; just trying to clean up the scene of the crime.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:23 AM   #2

I had pretty good experiences using 'simply green' and then rinsing it with low pressure water so you don't get any water on any connectors.

I believe that simple green is bio-degradable, so you don't have to worry about the drainage..

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote