Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2019, 11:01 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 214
Help! No Start After Removing Carpet

So I removed the carpet to air dry after finding out that it never dried after it got wet.
(I replaced the Immobilizer two months ago with the original Immoblizer's eeprom)

Before I started, everything worked; Locks, Windows, Trunk release, radio, Conv. Top, Etc.

So I disconnected the battery before I removed the seats and console and carpet. Everything is now re-connected, seats are in, sans carpet.

Car now does not start, won't even crank, windows & locks don't work and radio does not work. Convertible top works.

Tried connecting the Durametric and it communicates with the Engine Module, Air Conditioning, but does NOT Communicate with Alarm I32, Alarm I48 nor Airbag Module.

It once communicated with the airbag module, because I made a mistake of turning the key on without the seat connected while messing with the Immo, and I used the Durametric to reset it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:24 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Woodland Wa
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
So I removed the carpet to air dry after finding out that it never dried after it got wet.
(I replaced the Immobilizer two months ago with the original Immoblizer's eeprom)

Before I started, everything worked; Locks, Windows, Trunk release, radio, Conv. Top, Etc.

So I disconnected the battery before I removed the seats and console and carpet. Everything is now re-connected, seats are in, sans carpet.

Car now does not start, won't even crank, windows & locks don't work and radio does not work. Convertible top works.

Tried connecting the Durametric and it communicates with the Engine Module, Air Conditioning, but does NOT Communicate with Alarm I32, Alarm I48 nor Airbag Module.

It once communicated with the airbag module, because I made a mistake of turning the key on without the seat connected while messing with the Immo, and I used the Durametric to reset it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Work from the simplest to the most complex.
Inspect everything you worked on or around.
Check battery connections and negative cable ground.
Check and recheck any electrical connections under the seats.
Check connections under the console. I think the airbag module is under the console and you stated that Duramatic does not communicate with the airbag module or alarm. I would look at both of those very closely.
Let us know what you find. I am always trying to learn more
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:26 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Woodland Wa
Posts: 53
I believe there is one or more ground points under the seats check those as well.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:32 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 214
Thanks Blue62 for all the suggestions. I went around and checked all the connections, including the grounds for a third time. Not hard to check, since there's no carpet. I also triple-checked the ignition switch, I forgot to mention in the original post that I attempted to change it while I was there. The replacement part was different, so I ended up putting the original one back. Still, no luck.

Then I remember years ago a mechanic told me that if you're having computer issues, disconnect the negative terminal, and tap it against the battery 3 times. I did that out of desperation, and for good measure I tapped my head and hopped on one leg 3 times! LOL I really didn't expect it to work, but IT DID!
Car fired right up! Windows work, locks and radio work too! WTF!??

I'm elated, but I still have an uneasy feeling that whatever the real issue is will end up biting me in the arse, at the worst possible time.

And for the heck of it I just plugged in the Durametric and it communicated with both alarm modules and the airbag module. No problems found on any of them!

Last edited by piper6909; 06-04-2019 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Added Durametric test
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:05 PM   #5
Registered User
 
lcsdoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Erin, Wisconsin
Posts: 24
Garage
I hate it when they do that.
__________________
2007 Speed Yellow Boxster S
"Never let the fact that you don't know how to do something keep you from doing it." - Me
lcsdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:09 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Woodland Wa
Posts: 53
Thumbs up

If playing with the negative battery cable ultimately fixed the problem.?????
I would get a battery post cleaner and clean both posts and cable ends.
Also I would clean the connection of the negative cable where it bolts to the body. make sure there is bright clean metal where it bolts to the body. if it is on a stud held with a nut wire brush hell out of that stud.

Most electrical problems are first: bad grounds Second: corroded connections. really bad crap third and forth.
Glad you found the problem. Thanks for letting us know the fix, helps us all learn.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:53 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
If playing with the negative battery cable ultimately fixed the problem.?????
I would get a battery post cleaner and clean both posts and cable ends.
Also I would clean the connection of the negative cable where it bolts to the body. make sure there is bright clean metal where it bolts to the body. if it is on a stud held with a nut wire brush hell out of that stud.

Most electrical problems are first: bad grounds Second: corroded connections. really bad crap third and forth.
Glad you found the problem. Thanks for letting us know the fix, helps us all learn.
Yeah, both posts and the battery ground is spotless. The battery is less than a year old, according to the previous owner, and the terminals are clean. The other grounds were clean too.

A couple things looked off to me, however. There were a lot of wire taps. Looks like it once had a remote start, keyless entry and/or alarm. (This is a base model with no key fobs and, I found out today, no console compartment alarm wiring) Whatever it was is now gone, along with whatever wires they tapped on, but the taps remain. I checked every single one, and it looks like the original wires were never broken, except one. And I triple-checked that one.

I don't know what happened, but it started several times after the negative terminal tap-dance, I drove it a while then shut it off and it stared again.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by piper6909; 06-04-2019 at 02:56 PM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:55 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcsdoug View Post
I hate it when they do that.
Tell me about it! It's always on the back of your mind. I'd much rather find the problem and to know that I solved it.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Woodland Wa
Posts: 53
Piper
Things like that make me chuckle when they are not my car.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:09 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Piper
Things like that make me chuckle when they are not my car.
HAHA! Yeah, I get it. I hope you won't have to deal with it
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page