Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #1

Dead convertible top

my 02 boxster's top just stopped working,I replaced with a different used relay tested to be good Iam told,..is there another relay or fuse I should look for, dealer mention a switch relay when I was looking to replace the large relay,..?? the windows dropped like they do but that was it,..Thanks Frank

flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:03 PM   #2

Yes, there are fuses but also look at switch for your parking brake. It can be bypassed at the top relay. You bend an pin and ground it. Can't remember if its PIN 15 or 18.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:45 PM   #3

Pull the parking brake handle up see if the light comes on for the parking break thats the give away. Sometimes working the parking break handle up and down a few times will get it to work.

I bought a easy top really which takes the hand brake relay out but thats an expensive fix, the micro switch is fairly cheap but you have to pull the console to install it.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:10 AM   #4

Thanks Gentlemen,.thats very helpful..I will check that out..!!
Old 06-03-2019, 07:07 PM   #5

And yes NO dash light with the hand brake on,...
so if I snip off the # 18 pin,..is that all that needs to be done,..? Thanks
Old 06-03-2019, 08:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
I think on pedros site there are instructions or rennlist, but if i remember its a little little more to it than that. I believe i google cheap 986 Boxster easy top or something.
Or emergency Boxster top bypass. You need to add a jumper but that migt be to make it one touch.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:09 PM   #7
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
No. You need to fix/replace your e-brake switch.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:05 AM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Why isn't anyone suggesting the sensor where the top clicks in at the top of the windshield?

The last few times I've gone to put the top down... zero. So, I push my finger up in the hole (where the redclip ataches)... push it in a few times... then it works. Today I'm going out to troubleshoot.

So... check that sensor. It might be wonky.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:25 AM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Why isn't anyone suggesting the sensor where the top clicks in at the top of the windshield?

The last few times I've gone to put the top down... zero. So, I push my finger up in the hole (where the redclip ataches)... push it in a few times... then it works. Today I'm going out to troubleshoot.

So... check that sensor. It might be wonky.
Because he has already said that the e-brake indicator is not illuminating. Fix what is obviously broken first, then move on to other things (if necessary).
Old 06-04-2019, 07:47 AM   #10

Ok went to pedros site check in instructions but sniping or bending pin 18 only makes it where you can move the top up or down while in motion and hand brake light on.

However, on rennlist i did see a way to solder a jumper as well that will bypass the ebrake, but as PW points out best fix is swap the micro switch. There only like $20 if i remember correctly.
Ok this link goes to a thread with a vid on how to bypass speed and brake, might take a look.
https://www.renntech.org/topic/48509-986-emergency-brake-bypass-for-top-raising/
Old 06-04-2019, 08:07 AM   #11
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Because he has already said that the e-brake indicator is not illuminating. Fix what is obviously broken first, then move on to other things (if necessary).
You know... I read that his windows dropped... and thought that the wonky latch button wouldn't allow the window to drop (mine doesn't, thus the finger poke), but didn't do the math on the non-illuminated e-break light. I'll be remembering that. Thank you.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:29 PM   #12

Surprisingly the E- brake light is now working and so is the top,..So either the relay is intermittent or there is a loose wire connected to that relay,..I'll be pulling the console soon to replace that switch or connect a wire,..!! Thanks For all the quick info I feel much better about it now..Frank
Old 06-04-2019, 08:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Surprisingly the E- brake light is now working and so is the top,..So either the relay is intermittent or there is a loose wire connected to that relay,..I'll be pulling the console soon to replace that switch or connect a wire,..!! Thanks For all the quick info I feel much better about it now..Frank
Thats also normal, the micro switch button in the ebrake gets gunked up and sticks. It can reoccur at any inconvenient moment. In rennlist i saw a way to make an emergency jumper wire in case that happens. Check out the video i linked in my below post.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:49 PM   #14
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
It has nothing to do with the relay, just the e-brake switch. Pull it out someday and either clean or replace it.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:52 PM   #15

OH,Thats a thought, it was aggravating not to be able to drop the top when we wanted.Ill check that out right now.... Thanks