Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2019, 11:42 PM   #1

Exciting morning ruined

Hi Chaps
Picture this, your beloved, mint condition 986 Boxster S is booked in your local garage to get some new Goodyear Eagle F1s fitted to the front wheels. A car you spend hours on making it the best it can be. Ignoring your late model Passat in the process.

After an hour you go back to pic the car up, the chap from the garage even comments on what a nice boxster it is.

All is good in the world, apart form the fact they haven't washed off that soapy crap they use to put the tyres on, never mind you don't say anything but will wash it off as soon as you get home.

5 mins later your on the drive bucket and wash mitt in hand ready to give your 18" Turbos Twists (that you had powder coated 12 months ago) a much needed bath.

Hang on what's under that piece of dried soap!!!!! A massive chunk of the paint missing!!!

Now your that guy that's feeling abad about complaining, had to do it tho they were very apologetic and are paying for it it be rectified.

Is it just me these thing happen too!

YellowS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:15 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Think positive!...at least the shop didn’t take a chunk of paint off the car itself! Whenever I had to get new tires on my Boxster, I used to take all 4 wheels off and put my winter set of wheels on my car, so that all I had to do was give the tire shop the wheels. That way, they didn’t have a chance to even get in my car and do something stupid like ride my clutch.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:07 AM   #3

Garage
I am finding it harder and harder to even find a tire shop to touch my wheels. The last shop, a couple years ago that did my fronts, when I called to do my rear tires last winter, wouldn't do them any more. I took a chance and used the Tire Rack mobile service. They don't have road force balancing but they didn't damage the rims and the balancing seems fine. Super convenient
Old 05-20-2019, 06:39 AM   #4
Need For Speed

Garage
Pictures or it didn't happen.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Last time I took mine in to have all 4 tires replaced, they left a piece of rag in the bead and chipped the paint on 3 or 4 of the calipers.

This is why I don't like others working on my things.
Attached Images

Last edited by particlewave; 05-20-2019 at 10:35 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:38 AM   #6
Will there be cake?

Garage
P-Dubs...ARRRRRGH!
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:21 PM   #7

I had a tire mounted one time and they didn't peel the sticker off until the tire was mounted so the sticker was stuck down in the bead...
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:29 AM   #8

Have to say the that garage are being great about it as iv used them for years.

The bodyshop next door to then doesn't want to blow it in so the wheel is going back to the people that powder coated them last year

The tyre garage did say that the powder coating should have been thicker really but they are going to drop the wheel off at the powder coaters who did them whilst they are changing my front discs/pads and hub carriers (calliper bolts fused to existing hubs)
for only £40 a side as a good will gesture.

I already have the brembo disc and pads bought.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Last time I took mine in to have all 4 tires replaced, they left a piece of rag in the bead and chipped the paint on 3 or 4 of the calipers.

This is why I don't like others working on my things.
I repainted all my callipers base coat red then applied new decals then cleared over with 2K, they are unmarked so I'm hoping they dont chip them.

Incidentally have you seen the tutorial on you tube of this lol...... iv watched it 20 times lol. You will know why if you have seen it lol.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
Think positive!...at least the shop didn’t take a chunk of paint off the car itself! Whenever I had to get new tires on my Boxster, I used to take all 4 wheels off and put my winter set of wheels on my car, so that all I had to do was give the tire shop the wheels. That way, they didn’t have a chance to even get in my car and do something stupid like ride my clutch.
It is a worry letting garages touch your car isn't it, it weird my Passat that is worth twice as much in value doesn't bother me half as much.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:52 AM   #11

here is the full car, its my baby, had her 3 years, despite being a daily driver she lives on a bed of ostrich feathers and gets all of her whims attended too.

Im not her owner... she owns me.

Just spent £1000 on full service, plugs, coil packs, brembo discs and pads all round and 2 used front hub carriers

Last edited by YellowS2000; 05-21-2019 at 02:54 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowS2000 View Post
here is the full car, its my baby, had her 3 years, despite being a daily driver she lives on a bed of ostrich feathers and gets all of her whim attended too.

Im not her owner... she owns me.

Just spent £1000 on full service, plugs, coil packs, brembo discs and pads all round and 2 used front hub carriers
Old 05-21-2019, 09:15 PM   #13

Wow, a chunk like that should have never even left the building before they told you about it. Hard to miss that! That’s what pisses me off about shops sometimes, they do things, then don’t acknowledge the thing, until you point it out... as though they HOPE you won’t notice. Total crap. I’m will Particleweave and do most of my own stuff. I’ve had excellent service from our local dealer and use them exclusively for things I can’t/don’t want to do.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:30 AM   #14

Garage
Had Porsche of North Houston put a hole in my top ..Top that.
gabedrummin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabedrummin View Post
Had Porsche of North Houston put a hole in my top ..Top that.
JESUS! that's bad did you get a new top out of it