Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2019, 01:47 AM   #1

Garage
318 mm front brakes in 16 inch wheels

Hi guys,

I have bought 2000 Boxster and I'm considering buying 16 inch OZ Ultraleggera to keep the weight down, but I would like to know will 318 mm front discs from Brembo and its calipers (dimension from Boxster S) will fit into 16 inch wheels or I have to go with 17 inch as on Boxster S?

Second question - in order to fit OZ Ultraleggera I need to fit wheel adapters, is this one ok? https://www.ebay.com/itm/5x130-to-5x4-5-5x114-3-US-Wheel-Adapters-1-thick-14x1-5-studs-71-5-Bore-x-4/171952702245?hash=item28092e0325:g:WRsAAOSwb3laJDX ~

It has 14x1.5 and 71.5 mm bore which should be ok for Boxster. As they are 1 inch wide, will those wheel adapters do the same thing as 1 inch wide spacers?

Thank you,

Darjan

MAXF1net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:59 AM   #2

Are you racing the car that you want 'light' rims ? For day to day driving, the standard ones are fine. Same with the brakes. There is no shortage of stopping power there.
marsheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:35 AM   #3

Garage
I'm preparing the car for the track step by step so I have to think forward with my decisions. I would appreciate if anyone can answer my questions (brakes and wheel adapters).

I have also sent a question to Brembo and I will let you know the answer when they reply.

Last edited by MAXF1net; 05-14-2019 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXF1net View Post
Hi guys,

I have bought 2000 Boxster and I'm considering buying 16 inch OZ Ultraleggera to keep the weight down, but I would like to know will 318 mm front discs from Brembo and its calipers (dimension from Boxster S) will fit into 16 inch wheels or I have to go with 17 inch as on Boxster S?

Second question - in order to fit OZ Ultraleggera I need to fit wheel adapters, is this one ok? https://www.ebay.com/itm/5x130-to-5x4-5-5x114-3-US-Wheel-Adapters-1-thick-14x1-5-studs-71-5-Bore-x-4/171952702245?hash=item28092e0325:g:WRsAAOSwb3laJDX ~

It has 14x1.5 and 71.5 mm bore which should be ok for Boxster. As they are 1 inch wide, will those wheel adapters do the same thing as 1 inch wide spacers?

Thank you,

Darjan
First Answer: The discs will... but S discs w/ any caliper likely no and since you'll want calipers to stop then you need at least 17" wheels to make fit... not to mention will be cheaper/easier to find 17" tires in long run which are getting increasingly difficult to find abundantly.

Second Answer: 5x130 is correct size pattern for Boxster hub/wheel bolts. If OZ wheels are 114.3 dia then that is correct right SIZE adapter BUT image shows 5 stud where as description says 4 stud. Neither explains there is a difference to help you know which is correct. As to style, yes that set-up will act as a 1" spacers. That design 'spacer' is better b/c you would never want to use 1" 'sandwich' style spacers as longer wheel bolts, even if correct length & pattern matched, could not adequately handle the load. No idea on the quality of those and with any spacer over 5mm you really want them hub-centric...

My recommendation... particularly since track focused, you want to keep the set-up as simple as possible. Buy 17" wheels that fit w/ the correct offset and wheel pattern to begin with and avoid spacers all together. At very least, buy a complete package deal from one reputable vendor from start. Then proper fit is on them to make right. Otherwise not only might you be compromising safety but you could be stuck trying to return (not likely) or sell at a loss ill-fitting parts bought wrong.

Good luck
Old 05-14-2019, 11:12 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
First Answer: The discs will... but S discs w/ any caliper likely no and since you'll want calipers to stop then you need at least 17" wheels to make fit... not to mention will be cheaper/easier to find 17" tires in long run which are getting increasingly difficult to find abundantly.

Second Answer: 5x130 is correct size pattern for Boxster hub/wheel bolts. If OZ wheels are 114.3 dia then that is correct right SIZE adapter BUT image shows 5 stud where as description says 4 stud. Neither explains there is a difference to help you know which is correct. As to style, yes that set-up will act as a 1" spacers. That design 'spacer' is better b/c you would never want to use 1" 'sandwich' style spacers as longer wheel bolts, even if correct length & pattern matched, could not adequately handle the load. No idea on the quality of those and with any spacer over 5mm you really want them hub-centric...

My recommendation... particularly since track focused, you want to keep the set-up as simple as possible. Buy 17" wheels that fit w/ the correct offset and wheel pattern to begin with and avoid spacers all together. At very least, buy a complete package deal from one reputable vendor from start. Then proper fit is on them to make right. Otherwise not only might you be compromising safety but you could be stuck trying to return (not likely) or sell at a loss ill-fitting parts bought wrong.

Good luck
Thank you a lot. I think you convinced me to go for 17'', I could have bigger brakes and I think I won't add too much weight compared to 16''.

I really want to install some non-Porsche wheels because I doubt there are some Porsche 17'' wheels that are comparable in weight with Ultraleggera and similiar wheels. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Or maybe there are some lightweight wheels that would fit Porsche PCD 130x5?

Can you please suggest what 'complete package deal from one reputable vendor' would be? Would that allow me to fit OZ Ultraleggera?
Old 05-14-2019, 10:18 PM   #6

As a data point I have Boxster S calipers and 321 rotors on my Audi, and I have 16 inch wheels that fit over that setup. I would actually love to find some wide 16 inch wheels to fit the Boxster. I don't want to use adapters though.
lskolnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lskolnick View Post
As a data point I have Boxster S calipers and 321 rotors on my Audi, and I have 16 inch wheels that fit over that setup. I would actually love to find some wide 16 inch wheels to fit the Boxster. I don't want to use adapters though.
Wow - would love to see a picture of that set up!

Do you track the Innie?
Old 05-16-2019, 09:50 AM   #8

Garage
Guys, I have found 17'' wheels for my Boxster in Croatia, it is Dyno design, they are said to be very light and look nice, price for 4 wheel set is around 500 dollars so it is not too much.

Regarding 318 mm brake update from Brembo - when I select 162 kW 2.7 model on their page they don't offer 318 mm discs, but when I select 155 kW 2.7 model then I get 318 mm option.

https://www.bremboparts.com/europe/en/catalogue/porsche-boxster-986-2-7/000054927-1

Is there any obstacle for fitting 318 mm Brembo discs/calipers, regardless of their year? "101 Projects for your Porsche Boxster" book says the only requirement for big brakes is to have 17 inch wheels, but also that not all 17 inch wheels will allow huge calipers to fit.

What do you think, will my Dino wheels accept those discs / calipers in Boxster S dimensions?

Dino wheel dimensions:

17x7 (996.362.126.55) (ET 55)
17x8.5 (996.362.124.50)(ET 50)