Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2015, 06:07 PM   #1

Courtesy Lights in Doors?

Hi all...

I have a 2004 Boxster S. I have been doing some searching on Google etc and reading various forums trying to get some ideas to make some tweaks for the interior ... (in addition to my question below, also looking into adding footwell lights and an engraved / lighted windscreen).

I am not sure about "courtesy lights" - what I believe is being referred to are led lights that emit from the doors when they are opened.

I am not sure if my car has them and perhaps the bulbs are just not working or if my car does not have them (in which case, is this something I can add)?

I have seem some interesting ideas about "ghost" light projectors that people have added - a porsche emblem gets displayed via the bottom of the door...

Any info would be much appreciated .... Thanks

soxfan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:14 PM   #2

My 2000 S has a small light attached to the lower interior door panel on each door. They light when the door is opened.Yours may have this as well.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:17 PM   #3

could you by chance post a picture of what this light looks like? I can't tell on my car if there should be a light but it is either not installed or perhaps burned out.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:30 PM   #4

My 2000S does not have it. If yours does, it is under the door handle area in the carpeted lower area of the door panel.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:39 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:42 PM   #6

Thanks for the picture...

I do not have any lights there - I just have holes where the lights would be. I wonder if I can add them in ?
Old 04-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #7
Custom User Title Here

Garage
If you have the holes, then the wiring is probably back there. Pull the door panel and have a look.
Member "itsnotanova" probably has the light housings and his prices can't be beat.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:24 AM   #8

Anyone else have just the holes in the doors? I am going to look for the wires when I get a chance...
Old 04-22-2015, 03:51 AM   #9
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
There should be a double spade connector on the wire for the puddle lights. Use a small light and check inside (or as others suggested, pull the door panel).
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:16 PM   #10

If you have holes it's because the lights that were originally there fell out or were removed. They are standard equipment, not options.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:54 PM   #11
Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
If you have holes it's because the lights that were originally there fell out or were removed. They are standard equipment, not options.
Actually on my 03 base they are not there nor are there any cut outs for them.
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:28 AM   #12

They had to have at least been optional in '99.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:36 PM   #13
Usercpy

Garage
Got these leds....

Old 04-23-2015, 04:32 PM   #14

are those LEDs getting power from the courtesy lights ? I am thinking of doing something similar with the Ghost Lights once I get the Courtesy Lights hooked up.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:44 PM   #15
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman1969 View Post
They had to have at least been optional in '99.

Maybe it was part of the door speaker option?
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Old 04-23-2015, 10:56 PM   #16

It's odd. The green interior car has Tip, Memory Seat, and Full Leather, but no other options at all.
The black interior car is the opposite. All options except for Tip, Memory Seat and FL.
So I could believe that lights and speakers were separate options, but neither of them ordered.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:23 AM   #17
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman1969 View Post
It's odd. The green interior car has Tip, Memory Seat, and Full Leather, but no other options at all.
The black interior car is the opposite. All options except for Tip, Memory Seat and FL.
So I could believe that lights and speakers were separate options, but neither of them ordered.
I also found pics on here of a member with an '03 S that didn't have door speakers, and also has no puddle lights. So the evidence is pointing in that direction.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Old 04-24-2015, 01:39 PM   #18
Usercpy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan1966 View Post
are those LEDs getting power from the courtesy lights ? I am thinking of doing something similar with the Ghost Lights once I get the Courtesy Lights hooked up.
Hi, yes power from courtesy light.
very cool looks, leds from ebay. get lots of staring when opening the door...
and i have installed front and rear trunk for better Lightning.
its an safety issue too, much more visibility when opening the door at night&day.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:52 PM   #19

Problem Hooking up Courtesy Lights

Hi All...

Received my Courtesy Lights including a length of wire for each and the bulb clip. I ended up having some time this afternoon so though I would give it a whirl. I "hoped" that I could simply loosen the door panel, pull the bottom off (the clips) after taking out the screws (going by the directions is the "101 Projects For Your Boxster" book).

Got the door panel loosened, pulled the bottom clips out and then started looking for the wire I hoped would be inside the door (I was really hoping I would see the wire and clip inside the door, simply plug the bulb in and then attach the courtesy light housing and voila. Unfortunately I did not see the wire inside the door. The one I got from Woody here on this site has a red wire with a black stripe and a yellow wire with a brown stripe (Woody was nice enough to send the housing, clip, bulb and about a foot of wire for each side).

I hesitated taking the whole door panel off for 2 reasons - one I did not have a ton of time to get into a position where I had to put something back together again and two I was afraid of setting off the side curtain air bag (on a side note, should I disconnect the battery when taking the door panel off?)

I poked around inside the door panel as best I could with a flashlight, looking behind the foam cover. I did not see any wire that looked like the one I have and was looking to attach. It may be possible that if I pull the whole door panel off the wire could be taped up high inside the door where I could not see it but I am reluctant to think that.

So I am wondering if someone may have an idea of where that wire originates from and where I may be able to trace it to, hopefully verifying that it is inside the door. Perhaps the previous owner cut the wire / clip off and the wire is higher up in the door (where I can connect to the wire I do have), or worst case the wire does not run into the door at all...

Any help / insight would be greatly appreciated... Thanks
Old 04-28-2015, 05:08 PM   #20
Custom User Title Here

Garage
The wires run up to near the door handle release cable, where they enter the door. The airbag stays in the door when the panel is removed (minus the cover on the door panel), so no big worry there. I would unhook the battery anytime you are messing around with wiring.

The wires eventually run to the doors main connector. I would imagine that there is power there somewhere. I'll check the wiring diagram tonight.

Last edited by particlewave; 04-28-2015 at 06:38 PM.