Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2019, 11:07 AM   #1

Wind deflectors behind headrests

Do these come as standard? I have the perspex one between the "roll bar" things, but the don't have the mesh ones which i've seen other Boxsters have.

I see they are quite expensive (£150+) are they worth it? do they make much difference to the wind noise (which isn't massively bad anyway to be honest (it is my first softop as well as first porsche)

cheers

thefunkygibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:10 PM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefunkygibbon View Post
Do these come as standard? I have the perspex one between the "roll bar" things, but the don't have the mesh ones which i've seen other Boxsters have.

I see they are quite expensive (£150+) are they worth it? do they make much difference to the wind noise (which isn't massively bad anyway to be honest (it is my first softop as well as first porsche)

cheers
Yeah... they're not inexpensive. Look for a used set... paint them if necessary.

I haven't paid much attention to the noise reduction... but it upped my cool factor by 5. I'm now sitting at a solid 6.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:28 PM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I paid full price for a new OEM set , after a year without them. However, I have never run the center without the sides installed. Given their price, I was very happy with the how well they work.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:48 PM   #4
Need For Speed

Garage
I can't tell any difference with them on or off. I do have them on as they look cool and zip tied in so they don't blow out and not as easy for someone to try and swipe off the car if I happen to make a quick run into the gas station.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:29 PM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
zip tied in so they don't blow out and not as easy for someone to try and swipe off the car if I happen to make a quick run into the gas station.
Yes... that.

Additionally, I positioned upon the tabs some 3M tape. They're not going anywhere. :dance:
Old 05-11-2019, 03:50 AM   #6

Thanks guys. I think I will hold off then . Seems a bit of a excessive expense for the few months a year where its top down weather for the difference they might make.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:08 AM   #7

Garage
Check the classifieds, ask woodie if he has a set. I got a good set used for like $80. And yes, zip tie them in place, otherwise they will blow out. While they may not make a difference for noice, they look nice. It's the center plastic piece that makes a difference.
mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:49 PM   #8

There is also an aftermarket plexiglass option that replaces all of the OEM wind blockers. I’ll likely go that route in the next few months.
Shawn
Old 05-12-2019, 03:51 AM   #9
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I keep the original plastic ones stored in a box. I made the set on my car by cutting perforated aluminum with a rubber strip on the edge. They work just as well and I like the color better.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:12 AM   #10

For me I certainly can see difference while going relatively fast ~150km or so. Plus, I think that without them it seems like something is missing - while looking the car form behind. Used one should do the trick!
Lacostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I keep the original plastic ones stored in a box. I made the set on my car by cutting perforated aluminum with a rubber strip on the edge. They work just as well and I like the color better.
great idea and yes, looks great. how much did that end up costing you? what were the specs of the sheet (thickness, size of holes etc) also how do you secure them? i keep reading people using zip ties but i'm guessing that looks awful, especially when you're having them there to look nice!
Old 05-12-2019, 12:44 PM   #12
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Also....

....they make a great mounting spot for car badges.

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:55 PM   #13
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
great idea and yes, looks great. how much did that end up costing you? what were the specs of the sheet (thickness, size of holes etc) also how do you secure them? i keep reading people using zip ties but i'm guessing that looks awful, especially when you're having them there to look nice!
The zip ties don't look awful, really. Almost not noticeable. That's the easiest part.

However, making your own can be costly, and very time consuming. By hand you must measure out each hole, mark them, and then comes the drilling. You can't use just any old drill, no sir. You must use a Dremel tool, and with the expensive diamond-dust carbide-aluminum tip. Then, meticulously you must drill out each hole and... here's where it can get really expensive: one drill-bit per hole. Further each hole diameter must be measured with a micrometer and, again, not just any off-the-shelf-micrometer... for it must be able to meaure hole diameter down to .000000000000000000000000000000001 of an inch for, if just one of those holes isn't perfectly drilled, well, you can imagine the shame and ridicule by fellow Porsche owners. Finally, the rubber edging must be sourced from Indonesia, as it is made from a special "Rubbercone", a hybrid material from the rubber tree and hard-to-find silicone tree.

That is why many people just break down and spend the money for the set.

1. Ordering a set from the Internet will take ~10 minutes, and ~$325 brand new.

2. Making your own will take ~375 man hours and $3K-$4K in tools. It's all those ****************ing holes.

I bet 78350 will just buy a pair next time.

Post a pic of the pair that you purchase. Likely 300-400 members closely watching this thread.

Old 05-12-2019, 01:08 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
The zip ties don't look awful, really. Almost not noticeable. That's the easiest part.

However, making your own can be costly, and very time consuming. By hand you must measure out each hole, mark them, and then comes the drilling. You can't use just any old drill, no sir. You must use a Dremel tool, and with the expensive diamond-dust carbide-aluminum tip. Then, meticulously you must drill out each hole and... here's where it can get really expensive: one drill-bit per hole. Further each hole diameter must be measured with a micrometer and, again, not just any off-the-shelf-micrometer... for it must be able to meaure hole diameter down to .000000000000000000000000000000001 of an inch for, if just one of those holes isn't perfectly drilled, well, you can imagine the shame and ridicule by fellow Porsche owners. Finally, the rubber edging must be sourced from Indonesia, as it is made from a special "Rubbercone", a hybrid material from the rubber tree and hard-to-find silicone tree.

2. Making your own will take ~375 man hours and $3K-$4K in tools. It's all those ****************ing holes.

I bet 78350 will just buy a pair next time.

Post a pic of the pair that you purchase. Likely 300-400 members closely watching this thread.

I can't agree. The material for the screen is available at any big store or even online, and a rubber gasket can be had at McMaster just by looking for it. In fact, I think I will make a set just for S&G, I bet I don't spend more than $20.
The metal can be cut with either a bandsaw, a handheld grinder with a metal cutoff wheel or a pair of hand shears. The rubber can't be more than $8 for a .063 U-channel, I'm sure this easy...Sounds like a fun project for next weekend, might even powder coat mine to match rims.
mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:45 PM   #15

Quote:

However,...snip:
uh huh:dance:
Old 05-12-2019, 01:54 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:

:
You obviously have not tried it yourself.

A Dremel leaves the edges too rough even with the diamond tip. I used a flat bed CNC with a Co2 Laser, available here: https://www.bosslaser.com/boss-lsr-hybrid.html

The Indonesian rubber is too sensitive to UV radiation and fades to a grey after a few months of full sun. The Melanesian rubber is the one to go with.

I sourced the uncut titanium hyper-alloy aluminum sheet here: https://www.customcargrills.com/Perforated-Grill-Mesh.asp

And the carbon fiber infused UV resistant rubber edge here: https://www.customcargrills.com/Grill-Trim.asp

I have lots of extra material and I will not share.

There may be cheaper sources, but if you were looking for the cheapest source, you'd be driving a 1990 Miata, not a Porsche Boxster.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post

There may be cheaper sources, but if you were looking for the cheapest source, you'd be driving a 1990 Miata, not a Porsche Boxster.
I had a 1990 Miata for about two years. (A tree fell on it during a tropical storm.)

It was great car for the money- $2000. The shifting was much more precise than my 986.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:04 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
I had a 1990 Miata for about two years. ... The shifting was much more precise than my 986.
*Moderators, can we get a Ban for Kevin. I don't think he's really one of us and probably belongs on the GrassrootsMotorsports.com/forum instead.

*Also, is there a way to keep Canadians from reading my helpful posts? I hear that they cheapen the value of my intellectual properties by about 30%. Fred, James, Paul, and TRK are still okay though.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:41 PM   #19
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Starter986 is right. Matter of fact you didn't even notice/mention the zip ties used in the picture of the person you quoted.

Old 05-12-2019, 04:11 PM   #20
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Mine came with them, I installed them a few times and used zip ties to keep them from blowing out or being easily stolen. However, I found the passenger side screen blocked my blind spot, sounds stupid in a convertible with the top down, but combined with them being too fragile and expensive I decided to quit using them, no difference in wind noise, just looks. Maybe I will build a pair like 78F350, I would be using zip ties anyway.

The center windscreen on the other hand makes a noticeable difference in cockpit turbulence and noise and is definitely worth having.