Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2019, 04:14 PM   #21

Deleted because I no longer recommend using tape.

Last edited by piper6909; 05-23-2019 at 03:59 AM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Starter986 is right. Matter of fact you didn't even notice/mention the zip ties used in the picture of the person you quoted.

Well I thought it a bit rude to... manners and all that. I'm British after all ;-)
thefunkygibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:32 AM   #23
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

With some 3M on the tabs, that eliminates the need for the zip tie on the top. My tie is in the middle bottom, near indiscernable. Those things aren't going anywhere with the 3M tape.

78F350, When I source all those tools definately I'm going with the Melanesian rubber. Thatks for the tip.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Personally, I think zip-ties would be overkill, and somewhat unsightly if you look close enough.

But 3M tape on the tabs is an awesome idea! It keeps them from rattling, too.

You could probably even use molding tape. It is stronger and black, so it won't be as noticeable if a little of the tape sticks out. But that may be overkill too.

what do you mean when you say "on the tabs"? i don't see any tab looking things.
I just realized that my having red leather interior means the roll bar things are red leather at the front (black plastic at the back) so whatever colour ziptie i use it will look crap from one side. so zip ties are out of the question for the top parts (the bottoms would be ok as you can't really see them)
Old 05-23-2019, 03:56 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefunkygibbon View Post
what do you mean when you say "on the tabs"? i don't see any tab looking things.
I just realized that my having red leather interior means the roll bar things are red leather at the front (black plastic at the back) so whatever colour ziptie i use it will look crap from one side. so zip ties are out of the question for the top parts (the bottoms would be ok as you can't really see them)
Are we referring to the same thing? I was talking about the black grilles that go behind the headrest. If you're referring to the same items, then they have 3 tabs that lock them (although loosely) to the roll bar.

I want to caution that if you use 3M tape to hold them down, you'll most likely never get the back out in one piece, as they are VERY brittle. I learned that the hard way. In fact, I no longer recommend using tape. Thank God for JB Weld for plastic, I was able to mend the broken pieces.

If you're talking about the clear plastic that goes between the humps, if the car didn't come with it, you'll have to buy the mounting kit and rivet it onto the roll bar. I did that with mine and if you need help let me know.

Last edited by piper6909; 05-23-2019 at 04:00 AM.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:09 AM   #26

Quote:
The front red pads can be removed or pried loose enough to fish a ziptie between them and the roll bar. This way you can use a black ziptie to match the roll bar and you won't see anything in the front. In the back, they would match the black roll bar so they will not be as noticeable.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:55 AM   #27

yeah i was talking about the perforated alu within the rollbars. have bought some sheets and rubber and going to attempt to make my own when they get delivered.
great news about being able to prise them off.. that makes matters a bit easier

thankyou
Old 05-23-2019, 05:25 AM   #28

Quote:
yeah i was talking about the perforated alu within the rollbars. have bought some sheets and rubber and going to attempt to make my own when they get delivered.
great news about being able to prise them off.. that makes matters a bit easier

thankyou
This vid will help. If the little black plastic anchors come off with the pad, simply unscrew them off the pad and push them onto the roll bar before you put the pad back on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSB4hYjucH4&t=549s

Yes, if you make your own they probably won't have tabs

Here's what the OE screens look like and the 3 tabs:
Attached Images

Last edited by piper6909; 05-23-2019 at 05:34 AM.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:46 AM   #29
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Here's a pic that shows the tabs on the original wind deflectors:

I do not recommend allowing an elephant to sit on the original deflectors.

When I first made mine, I was going to have a folded edge to fit inside the rollbar. It was unnecessarily complicated.

My recommendation is to just use a flat sheet cut from the perforated aluminum. Make a cardboard template that rests against the rollbar slightly within the curvature of the back. I didn't have to remove the padding to apply the zip-tie, but just slid it underneath. A thin strip of 3M tape applied to the rubber edge will secure them and be less visible than the zip-tie - I may do that later.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:03 PM   #30
Will there be cake?

Garage
I sold every set I had and never missed them. Free money. Just saying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:36 AM   #31

I wasn’t happy with the amount of air coming thru the stock units so I added curved plexiglass sheets I found online. They fasten to the stock units.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:03 AM   #32
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Clickman +1

I, too, have purchased and installed the plexiglass wind blockers into my OEM mesh inserts.

Works great.

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:42 AM   #33
Will there be cake?

Garage
ooops, im repeating myself LOL
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
You obviously have not tried it yourself.

A Dremel leaves the edges too rough even with the diamond tip. I used a flat bed CNC with a Co2 Laser, available here: https://www.bosslaser.com/boss-lsr-hybrid.html

The Indonesian rubber is too sensitive to UV radiation and fades to a grey after a few months of full sun. The Melanesian rubber is the one to go with.

I sourced the uncut titanium hyper-alloy aluminum sheet here: https://www.customcargrills.com/Perforated-Grill-Mesh.asp

And the carbon fiber infused UV resistant rubber edge here: https://www.customcargrills.com/Grill-Trim.asp

I have lots of extra material and I will not share.

There may be cheaper sources, but if you were looking for the cheapest source, you'd be driving a 1990 Miata, not a Porsche Boxster.
You're still using Melanesian rubber?! Wow. No. What you really want is the super-rare "Pleistocene Bog Tar."
Old 06-01-2019, 05:15 AM   #35

finished.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cdMJTB4iuaEQ1tfM7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/yH3jsfkWnVW3YSaX7

look ok tbh, they'll do instead of spending £150 on them (cost about £20 all in)

in retrospect i think i should have maybe gone with less metal between the holes (not sure of terminology of that)
ended up painting it black since it looked a bit weird being aluminium coloured when the car is dark gray and nothing really alu coloured anywhere on the car.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:29 AM   #36

Quote:
finished.

look ok tbh, they'll do instead of spending £150 on them (cost about £20 all in)

in retrospect i think i should have maybe gone with less metal between the holes (not sure of terminology of that)
ended up painting it black since it looked a bit weird being aluminium coloured when the car is dark gray and nothing really alu coloured anywhere on the car.
They look great! And the zip-ties blend in nicely!
Old 06-01-2019, 08:02 AM   #37
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
finished.

They do look good as well as the 'fuzzy dice' hanging from the mirror
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:41 AM   #38

Hehe thanks guys. The furry dice are a little ironic statement...I've had them for a number of cars now from when I had a bit of a boy racer type of car (mk1 cupra)
Old 10-20-2021, 12:18 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I keep the original plastic ones stored in a box. I made the set on my car by cutting perforated aluminum with a rubber strip on the edge. They work just as well and I like the color better.
Those look great! Especially with your color.

With mine (Seal Gray)? I still like the black.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote