Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #1

Just bought car - Remote unlocking woes

Hi all, first post :-)

Just came back from purchasing my first Porsche, a 986.2 and whilst the remote seemed to work fine when i looked at the car before buying. I've come home to find that the 2nd key i have doesn't seem to work to lock/unlock the car (it can manually open and start the car)..

Also the 1st key it seems really hit or miss whether it locks or unlocks. sometimes it will happily do it. others i'm standing there pushing the button for a good 20 seconds before it bothers locking.

I've changed the batteries in both. The red lights are flashing as expected with each press on both.
Really don't want the expense of buying 2 new keys at £150+ a pop.

Any ideas?
thanks in advance

thefunkygibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:43 AM   #2

there are a few threads on the forum about key remote issues etc.

The short of it is this. Pop the key apart and look at the little circuit board inside. Look for corrosion or more common is a broken soldier joint.

If you are good with a soldering iron, and have a fine tip for it, you can retouch all the joints. I did this on my remote along with replacing a micro switch. Works like new

And welcome to forum, I have only been here since December and this place has saved me many times.
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #3

hi, thanks. yes i saw a bunch of posts about it but none seem to show similar issues to me that i saw (intermittent).

So you're saying that the intermittent one, even though the lights on the key are flashing, could be to do with solder joints? what about the remote that doesnt work at all?

cheers
Old 05-10-2019, 12:12 PM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefunkygibbon View Post
what about the remote that doesnt work at all?
Same thing: Examine the joints.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:52 AM   #5

Ok I will try to...looks like I have to resolve the battery bit to see the joints. Cant see anything obvious on the button side.

If it makes any difference .the "kind of working" key flashes constantly quickly when button pressed down.. prob 3 or 4 quick flashes on a single press

and the not working one flashes like once a second if held down. And just the once on a quick push

That mean anything?
Old 05-11-2019, 11:02 AM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
The "not working" one is dead. Once they get the slow flash, there's no coming back.

The other key is likely due to bad solder joints on the back, as stated.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:54 PM   #7

I followed this simple hack on renntech today and it greatly improved the functionality of my remotes. It seems the foam in the a-pillar blocks a lot of the remote antenna. If you are comfortable pulling apart some trim on your new car you could try this....

https://www.renntech.org/tutorials/article/36-insuficient-or-remote-control-tsb-9662-made-easy/
2005 Ford F-150 Monster Truck
fusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:57 PM   #8

Read this thread too because the boxster 986 is a little different than a 996. The wire you are looking for is translucent clear and I didn't have to cut mine. It was already 130mm. Just move the wire out of the foam and it works again or doubles the distance at which your remote will work.

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/4958-insuficient-or-remote-control-tsb-9662-made-easy/
Old 05-11-2019, 04:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionist View Post
I followed this simple hack on renntech today and it greatly improved the functionality of my remotes. It seems the foam in the a-pillar blocks a lot of the remote antenna. If you are comfortable pulling apart some trim on your new car you could try this....

https://www.renntech.org/tutorials/article/36-insuficient-or-remote-control-tsb-9662-made-easy/
I couldn't access the link, but what's the foam made of? RF signals should have no problem going through foam.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:04 PM   #10

I don't know, Vibranium maybe.

It's a real thing though... Porsche put out a TSB 9662 for dealers to follow if customers complain that the remotes don't have enough range.

You have to register an account on renntech to see the link.