Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2019, 01:28 AM   #1

Question 1128 & 1130

Hey everyone.
I've been doing a lot of research on this, but this is me hoping one of you have an answer for me.

I got a 01 boxster in October, 60k miles but no matter what I do, i can't seem to get rid of this CEL for 1128 and 1130. It has been idling pretty low

What I've tried:
I replaced the AOS,
I've cleaned the MAF.
Got a smoke test (not sure how well he did),
Sprayed carb cleaner on my hoses hoping for an rpm change.

When I reset the code, I seem to gain some power, but the code comes back when I'm at low rpm. (Drops to about 500)

My next step is to buy a new MAF and clean the throttle body.

Am on the right track? I admit it's getting a bit discouraging.
I'm tempted to call a Porsche dealer to see what they charge for diagnostic, but I am afraid it will be a chokingly high price

Thanks in advanced

Jeeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:09 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
You're too lean, so there's a good chance you have an air leak (or bad MAF).
Check the entire intake.
Another somewhat common culprit is a cracked oil filler neck or loose/failed oil fill cap.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:50 AM   #3

Garage
Could be bad MAF
When I got those 2 codes it was the tube that connects the top of AOS to the TB. The fitting on the TB side was not seating correctly. So vacuum leak was my issue
Old 05-03-2019, 05:43 AM   #4

Garage
I had the same codes. After a couple failed attempts at cleaning the MAF, I replaced it, changed the air filter and cleared the codes. The CEL did not return.

Last edited by pilut2; 05-03-2019 at 05:49 AM. Reason: spelling
pilut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:16 AM   #5

I have the same problem. Done the same things. Figure I need to pull the intake manifolds off, replace a stripped screw and the vent hose that goes to the AOS (the expensive hose,) and seal it up really well.

Carb or brake clean won't help you localize any vacuum leaks. Starting fluid will, just use short shots, don't go crazy. or a handheld small unlit propane torch. Either will change the rpms when sucked in thru a leak.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilut2 View Post
I had the same codes. After a couple failed attempts at cleaning the MAF, I replaced it, changed the air filter and cleared the codes. The CEL did not return.
Same here. I had the same codes off and on for several months. A new MAF was the solution.
BFlath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 01:10 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies everyone. After your comments I decided to one-day ship a new MAF from Amazon. Hopefully it works out okay. If not, I just so happened to purchase starter fluid too. After I clear the codes, it would usually take 2-3 days of driving to work to turn back on.

I will have an update for you then
Old 05-12-2019, 12:02 AM   #8

Update:
A week of driving went by and no CEL.
Performance seems different. Can't tell if I have more or less power to be honest, but it does feel different to drive.

Seems like I have less get-up and go in 1st, but my idle is finally holding steady.

Had a loud screech happen twice on me today, one while slowing down to go over a speedbump. And the second was less agressive while I was at idle in a parking lot. I am crossing my fingers it goes away, or that it's just a loose fan belt. Imagine you will see a forum post from me about that soon.

Thanks again
Old 05-12-2019, 06:42 AM   #9

It will go away if your fan belt fails. For sure. In fact, the engine will soon be VERY quiet! Investigate the screech! Cheaper than killing a porsche engine.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:49 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeab View Post
Hey everyone.
I've been doing a lot of research on this, but this is me hoping one of you have an answer for me.

I got a 01 boxster in October, 60k miles but no matter what I do, i can't seem to get rid of this CEL for 1128 and 1130. It has been idling pretty low

What I've tried:
I replaced the AOS,
I've cleaned the MAF.
Got a smoke test (not sure how well he did),
Sprayed carb cleaner on my hoses hoping for an rpm change.

When I reset the code, I seem to gain some power, but the code comes back when I'm at low rpm. (Drops to about 500)

My next step is to buy a new MAF and clean the throttle body.

Am on the right track? I admit it's getting a bit discouraging.
I'm tempted to call a Porsche dealer to see what they charge for diagnostic, but I am afraid it will be a chokingly high price

Thanks in advanced

Buy a new Bosch or Porsche MAF. Install it & if the car runs better leave it in. If it runs the same take it out & reinstall the old one. Save the new MAF you will need it sometime.