Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2019, 06:18 AM   #1

Torx Bit Stuck in Steering Wheel- Stupid Problem

One would think after 33 years on this earth that I would stop finding new ways in which to screw up stuff on my car, but last evening I created one of the more boneheaded blunders I have made in quite sometime. So here we go...

Last summer my car was suffering from the dreaded "horn honks under heavy braking problem" that is attributed to the bushings in the air bag carrier on the steering wheel. This then manifested into the horn completely not working and being that I live in Virginia a non-working horn is causing me to not pass the State Vehicle Safety Inspection; this doesn't piss me off because I realize and recognize a horn is an important thing to have and I do want to fix it.

Bought the new carrier from Suncoast as I didn't feel like trying to rebuild the thing, and that's when the fun started.

There are two T-30 screws on the back of the steering wheel that attach the airbag to the steering wheel. The only T-30 I had was a drill bit that I then put in one of those "universal" screw drivers that accept drill bits. About halfway into trying to use this tool it becomes readily apparent that it is way too thick to fit in the steering wheel so I remove it but the g&d d&mn bit does not come out with it. It is now stuck in that narrow cavity in the steering wheel.

The issue I'm having with the extraction process is that the cavity is so narrow I can't get any pliers/tools in there to pull this thing out. So now I'm stuck and I don't feel fantastic about myself either.

Any thoughts from the forum on how best to get this stupid bit out so I can soldier on with fixing the car and getting to actually use it for the summer?

Thanks team 986!

-Rob

ReallyDirtyThirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:32 AM   #2

I haven't had the need to attempt this project, so I don't know exactly what you're dealing with, but...you have any friends in the medical field? I'm a veterinarian, so I've always had available lots of these:

Don't know how 'stuck' your bit is. If it's so jammed you'd need the force of pliers to get it out, a hemostat probably won't do the trick. But if it's just a matter of reaching and grabbing it, these things are great.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:34 AM   #3

Use one of those extender bits w/ a really strong magnetic end. Once it slots into the carrier it should slide right out.

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-B-35112-Torsion-Magnetic-11-Piece/dp/B00E1GKK3Q

Or stab around w/ a thin screwdriver wrapped in 3M Automotive double-sided trim adhesive tape to get it to stick to it.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-3614-15/dp/B002JOVUO0/

Sorry for the large amazon pix but good luck...
Old 05-02-2019, 07:02 AM   #4

stick magnet
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:02 AM   #5
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Compressed air?
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:32 AM   #6

If it is stuck/jammed into the screw, maybe a 6 point deep 1/4 inch drive socket the size of the bit with a long extension can be used to wiggle it out? Harbor Freight has a decent, cheap, set in their Pittsburgh brand that might work.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:15 AM   #7
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Push comes to shove... force "open" that passage and make it happen. Purchase a "plug" for the larger hole. No?

I ran into the same problem when replacing my wheel and, when I hit that "no-go" zone quickly recognized the situation I'd be in, and opted for a narrower tool. I forget whicdh one.

Keep us posted!! Good luck.