Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2019, 03:55 PM   #1

PPI Indy ? What to look for besides IMS?

I'm looking at '04 in Indy area. Where to get a reliable PPI? What are the biggest pitfalls, besides the obvious IMS bearing? Thanks in advance!

kbcvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:13 PM   #2

1. Find the mechanic who will do the PPI before you even find the car.
2. Ask for a sample of the PPI form they will use. Understand you will pay but the seller gets a copy.
3. The mechanic will (because he is an experienced Porsche water cooled engine mechanic) know what to look for. The only options I know are a compression or leak-down test to test the valve train and engine block internals.
4. The IMS is tested by removing and replacing the oil filter and looking for any ferrous (iron) debris there. Best that can be done short of unbolting the transmission from the motor block and that is $$$$ and no seller would permit it.

Know the maintenance history and know the sellers motivation for selling. Maintenance history because these are getting old and you want the seller to have done his share of the maintenance needed to replace normal wearing parts before you buy it. Motivation because it is the only hint you have he isn't trying to get you to buy his problems.

He could be she above.

Wonderful cars, owned two. Good ones are almost pure joy, bad ones ....
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:22 PM   #3

Garage
Euromotors would be a recommendation. I used them for a tranny fluid change on my 04 Boxster S.
Rick

Rickvd is offline   Reply With Quote