Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2018, 03:39 PM   #1

Accessing heater flap through dash

There's a tutorial on how to fix the AC/heater flap (from loss of foam) by going in through the dash. I've seen it before but I can't find it! Anybody know the source for it?

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:45 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Interior vent debris
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:49 PM   #3

Yes! That's it, thank you!

Old 11-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
No problem

The fix works great! It nice to not have bits of foam hit me in the face anymore.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:55 PM   #5

I did this fix last year to my Boxster after putting up with lack of decent heat for many years. I was embarrassed I waited so long after realizing just how easy the fix was!
Now I have a 2003 996 Cab that has a spring break foam party every time I run the car. Needless to say, I won't be waiting years to fix it this time...well, maybe a year or two as I tend to procrastinate...
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:14 AM   #6

Did the fix last fall, my doors were naked with virtually no foam left... that made the fix easy. I used waterproof alum tape from Home Depot to cover Swiss cheese holes on doors and opening cut on the hvac housing, easy to position and great adhesion. Very satisfying results to restore quick and powerful heating, warm air just a few minutes after cold start, what I exactly need for my daily driving through Michigan winter.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!

Last edited by Boxstard; 11-10-2018 at 07:16 AM.
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:34 PM   #7

ABSOLUTELY this is the method to do it! Wow it was so easy. I am so surprised every post says to go in through the frunk. Forget it!

Old 11-10-2018, 10:25 PM   #8

I’ve got foam and have this project on my to do list. The thing that I can’t figure out is I have a servo motor that just runs. Sounds like a little whir-click like something is trying to open or close. It’s coming from the pass side foot well. Can’t figure it out. Regarding foam, I’ve had all manor of chunks from 5” long pieces to a variety of skin like particles. I also need to redo my HVAC control display as the center vent indicator doesn’t work.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:18 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
I’ve got foam and have this project on my to do list. The thing that I can’t figure out is I have a servo motor that just runs. Sounds like a little whir-click like something is trying to open or close. It’s coming from the pass side foot well. Can’t figure it out. Regarding foam, I’ve had all manor of chunks from 5” long pieces to a variety of skin like particles. I also need to redo my HVAC control display as the center vent indicator doesn’t work.
There is a servo above the passenger foot well that is involved in the system. There is a small tray that needs to be removed allows visibility of the servo. The tray seems to act as a protective cover to the mechanical components on the bottom of the passenger side dashboard.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
There is a servo above the passenger foot well that is involved in the system. There is a small tray that needs to be removed allows visibility of the servo. The tray seems to act as a protective cover to the mechanical components on the bottom of the passenger side dashboard.
Cool, but why would it be constantly “running”. Any idea?
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:38 AM   #11
MarkT

Garage
I am seeing foam particles in my 05 987 s, is it possible to go through the dash to access the Heater flap in a 987 like this? Or is there a better way?
Thanks for any info!

Markt213 is offline   Reply With Quote