Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2019, 01:04 PM   #1

Some good news, and some not as good news

Finally got down to buying a Durametric. Got it all installed without a hitch, reading just fine etc. Car: 60k 2002S... So, the good news is, no news. No codes, no weirdness in any system etc. Fine. HOWEVER, got to my cam deviations and this is were it's not as good. Ambient temp: 40 deg. Car driven and fully warmed up, cam deviations were steady as a rock, but both were/are right at -6. One just under, one just over. So, I'm not in panic mode at all, but it obviously looks like I'm due for some tensioner pads. I will check around and get some quotes, or I MIGHT bite the bullet and tackle it myself. Based on doing some searching, I'm not going to park the car by any means, and enjoy it and plan for a fall/winter project. Mean time, monitoring every now and then to see what is happening.

The questions:

I do do some track time, so think that might need to be postponed 'til fixed, thoughts?

Generally, the pads are culprit #1, could it simply be the timing chain tensioners?

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:42 PM   #2

Garage
My ‘02 base is in the shop now for a bank 1 cam deviation issue. No plastic pieces in sump or filter and the deviation was bad enough to throw a code. Initial diagnosis is a “cam shaft tensioner adjuster” issue. They will replace the pads while replacing the adjuster.
2004 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition, #1541,Tip, TechnoFix DOF IMSB upgrade
SC-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:36 AM   #3
Luckyed

Garage
Glad everything with the Durametric worked fine. It's great to have around.....