Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2019, 06:27 AM   #1

Cool Window on Boxster doesn't drop enough to open door

Hello everyone,

My Porsche 2002 Boxster passenger side door window doesn't drop enough to open the door without the window hitting the roof. The window does drop, and it can roll all the way down, it just doesn't go down that extra 1/8th of an inch to make it a clean open, is there a way to adjust this?

Thanks

Last edited by Boxter2002; 03-08-2019 at 06:33 AM.
Boxter2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:34 AM   #2

I ended up replacing the door lock mechanism Pelican 8N1-837-015-C-oem to solve this problem.

Minor PIA
Luckyman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:35 AM   #3

OOPS mine was drivers side, check part number
Luckyman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:28 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
This has nothing to do with the door latch mechanism. If the window weren't dropping at all, then yes. The "dropping, but not enough" is due to a broken cable guide creating slack in the cable, often mistaken for a stretched cable.

Search "window stretched cable fix".

Last edited by particlewave; 03-08-2019 at 12:24 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:18 AM   #5

What Particlewave said....

I had the same issue on my 2002 S passenger side. I opted to just drop in a new regulator rather than do a “fix.” I rolled the dice on a URO brand from Pelican rather than pay the ransom for the stock part. It’s been working beautifully for over a year now.

Last edited by Akjoe; 03-08-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Akjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:43 PM   #6

I have this same problem... bought a regulator and motor from Woody, that just arrived today. the one he sent looks to have been recently replaced due to its condition. I would check with him to see if he has anymore... it was a great price shipped to me in Orlando...
Bcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
This has nothing to do with the door latch mechanism. If the window weren't dropping at all, then yes. The "dropping, but not enough" is due to a broken cable guide creating slack in the cable, often mistaken for a stretched cable.

Search "window stretched cable fix".
What PW said. I did ‘the fix’ a couple of weeks ago (search the site, my pics are here somewhere). Working well now. Just wanted to reinforce that this is not ‘cable stretch’. There’s no way a cable could stretch to create as much slack as I had. It’s definitely due to a broken cable guide (I think Pedro B confirmed this too). At any rate, I’ll roll with the hack until the regulator goes belly up
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
What PW said. I did ‘the fix’ a couple of weeks ago (search the site, my pics are here somewhere). Working well now. Just wanted to reinforce that this is not ‘cable stretch’. There’s no way a cable could stretch to create as much slack as I had. It’s definitely due to a broken cable guide (I think Pedro B confirmed this too). At any rate, I’ll roll with the hack until the regulator goes belly up
what is this "hack?" I've got the same issue, but didn't see anything irregular when I opened it up. then again, I am not sure what I am looking for.
zerosleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:44 PM   #9
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Window regulator permanent fix for stretched cable
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:36 PM   #10

I had this problem

My drivers window would not drop enough and I searched the site and got the same advice being given in the thread. I got real good at replacing regulators and it wasn't solving the problem after the second new regulator, I replaced the regulator motor and instantly went from almost no movement to the near 1/2 inch drop of the window. :dance:
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:47 AM   #11

I have the same problem with my car....

The passenger side regulator was going bad and making noises so I replaced it. The window drops when the handle is pulled but not enough to always clear the roof trim as there is slack. I am going to check the cables for slack like some suggested but what I have noticed when I took the window motor apart is that there is a rubber bushing that seems to degrade. This "bushing" seems to provide a bit of shock cushion between the drive gear of the motor and the window regulator when the motor is engaged. The bushing seems to have degraded to the point that there is too much slop now which allows for some extra slack in the window regulator drivetrain.

papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote