Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2019, 04:21 AM   #1

CDR 23 work in 1999 Boxster

A question for electronics guru. I have 1999 Boxster and want to replace Aftermarket radio PO installed( Pioneer) with a Porsche CDR 23 from 2004 Cayenne. OEM amplifier still intact and works with Pioneer but I’d rather have Porsche radio. Will it work without cutting a bunch of wires? Thanks to all

Tmar04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:41 AM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
The Cayenne's radio won't fit as the faceplate is entirely too large for the Boxster's dashboard.

I'd suggest a Continental head unit instead, keeps a similar-to-OE look and offers a nice variety of modern amenities.
https://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php/products/car-audio/head-units.html
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:28 AM   #3

I prefer oem as well. Searching here will yield a wealth of information that may be overwhelming. The gist, however, is :

I am pretty sure that the CDR23 is a MOST (fiber optic) setup, which would be something of a PIA to integrate to your car, requiring expensive adaptors, or else new cabling and a new amplifier.
To keep it both OEM Porsche and plug n play, look for a Porsche radio from 1997-2002 model yr. I would suggest a CDR-220. Then if you later decide you need bluetooth or whatever, there are aftermarket modules you can purchase to add that functionality.

Or if you just don't like your head unit and don't mind aftermarket, Kenwood and Continental seem the most popular choices. Beware the path of chasing audio perfection in a 1998 convertible sports car, as it is beyond the design mandate for such a car and is a slippery slope with diminishing returns (both financially and aurally).

Make sure the PO did not cut off your oem harness connectors in the install, or if they did, factor in the extra hassle of replacing them. BOL.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:50 AM   #4
On the slippery slope

Garage
CDR-23 is MOST bus. That can easily be gotten around. The bigger problem is the immobiliser. The older radios were directly coded in the radio. The CDR-23 is coded in the immobiliser, so there is a good chance it won't work with an older immobiliser (pre 2003)

Get the connential unit. It looks OEM

Porsche radios aren't that great anyway
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:46 AM   #5

I went with a pioneer, although i like the stock oem look needed mordern functionality. The continental is the way to go, plus the porsche cdr are not that great either.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #6

Thanks so much for all the intelligent suggestions. I’ll prob go with Continental. They are similar in looks to OEM and offer blurry. Again, my thanks.

Tmar04 is offline   Reply With Quote