Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2019, 04:17 PM   #1

key fob issues

My key fob lights up with a new battery. The car does nothing. After about 2 weeks the new battery is dead. I am thinking there must be a short in the buttons or something. It seems I recall someone was able to repair these little boards. I did send Mr PW a message and email with no response but I thought there was another member that would work on these. Any ideas?

MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:57 PM   #2

You could try replacing the micro switches to start with as described in the video below

https://youtu.be/WyyzKFu3nDY

It’s pretty cheap. I had to replace one of my micro switches for a different reason (they broke off). A pack of 30 for $6 delivered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alainp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:01 PM   #3

As a first step you could try replacing the microswitches per the video below

https://youtu.be/WyyzKFu3nDY

They’re pretty cheap. I picked up a pack of 30 on eBay for around $6. I replaced mine with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alainp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:50 AM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBen View Post
My key fob lights up with a new battery. The car does nothing. After about 2 weeks the new battery is dead. I am thinking there must be a short in the buttons or something. It seems I recall someone was able to repair these little boards. I did send Mr PW a message and email with no response but I thought there was another member that would work on these. Any ideas?
PW is the go-to. I'm getting ready to reach out and have him consider for repair my Ford Edge fob. As soon as my patience wears razor thin.