Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2019, 04:36 PM   #1

Question Bubble under a gauge face 1999

All,

N00b here and trying to purchase my first Boxster. This 1999 I'm about to pull the trigger on has one tiny, odd flaw....It has a few bubbles on a speedometer face. A) Has anyone ever seen this? B) Carfax is perfect...what might cause it other than Florida heat? and lastly C) ideas on installing a new face?

Thanks everyone! Hope to join you all in ownership soon!

Last edited by wsmcdowall; 02-19-2019 at 04:58 PM.
wsmcdowall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:29 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Those are the stick-on gauge faces that someone added.
Fix by removing them (gauge faces will be black underneath) or buying a used cluster to swap faces with if you prefer the silver/white style.

BTW, I see bubbles on all 3.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Those are the stick-on gauge faces that someone added.
Fix by removing them (gauge faces will be black underneath) or buying a used cluster to swap faces with if you prefer the silver/white style.

BTW, I see bubbles on all 3.
Thanks for that! I'm not a fan of white anyway. At the risk of sounding helpless, I haven't been able to find a thread on adding or removing gauge faces. The whole cluster...yes. but not opening up the gauge. Are you aware of any how to's in that? Thanks again!
wsmcdowall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmcdowall View Post
Thanks for that! I'm not a fan of white anyway. At the risk of sounding helpless, I haven't been able to find a thread on adding or removing gauge faces. The whole cluster...yes. but not opening up the gauge. Are you aware of any how to's in that? Thanks again!
Check youtube under 986 gauge cluster light replacement and you will find quite a bit.
gman1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:21 PM   #5

Check out this post on Rennlist: https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/915925-programming-a-996-cluster-to-work-in-a-986-a.html

It contains the instructions I posted for reprogramming a 996 cluster. It also has instructions for disassembling the cluster. This article has some information on removing the cluster from the car:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/90-ELEC-996_Cluster/90-ELEC-996_Cluster.htm
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmcdowall View Post
Thanks for that! I'm not a fan of white anyway.
It's funny the difference on personal tastes..

My 987 had White faced gauges and I really like them, and now my new (to me 981) has black face gauges and I am trying to find a way to swap the black face gauges for the white ones, but I have not find them yet, and also don't have the courage to remove the cluster fearing screwing something else while doing it.. :-(

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gauge bubble speedometer