Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2019, 11:49 AM   #1

1999 Boxster headlight

I just bought my first Porsche. 1999 Boxster and curious about headlights. When did Porsche make Litronic lights available as an option?
Thanks to all

Tmar04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmar04 View Post
I just bought my first Porsche. 1999 Boxster and curious about headlights. When did Porsche make Litronic lights available as an option?
Thanks to all
The Lits came later, around 2001 if memory serves, but they are retrofittable to your year.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:43 PM   #3

Is it just a matter of replacing bulbs and associated wiring and other related parts? I mean, more of a ‘plug and play’ deal?
Tmar04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 04:45 PM   #4

More of a pay through the nose deal. At first they were relatively affordable and then they got really expensive. Plus originals had features that add-ons didn't like self leveling IIRC.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmar04 View Post
Is it just a matter of replacing bulbs and associated wiring and other related parts? I mean, more of a ‘plug and play’ deal?
They are fairly a plug and play, but require replacement of the entire head light housing because the Lits use a motorized focusing lense assembly that is unique to the Lit housings. Beyond that, you will need to add a controller to the headlight wiring harness that controls the focusing lense movement. And a Mike noted they are anything but cheap, but they are some great lights.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:51 AM   #6

I agree with Mike’s and JFP’s observations. I retrofitted a set of litronics. They are great lights and they have the added benefit of improving the appearance of the front of the car.

I took the “budget” approach and scavenged parts from different sources to avoid the cost of buying a new set. If you have the time and interest you can use this post for information: Advice on Used Litronics

As you can see from my experience people on this forum will help if you run into a road block.

By the way, I have the sales brochure for my 2000 model Boxster and the litronic headlights were available that year. For a few model years the Carrera and Boxster Headlights were interchangeable but Porsche redesigned the Carrera at some point in the model run and the later headlights do not fit the Boxster.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:30 AM   #7

Garage
[QUOTE=JFP in PA;589155]The Lits came later, around 2001 if memory serves, but they are retrofittable to your year.[/QUOTE

2000 was the 1st year, Hah, first time in a decade I get to "help" JFP !
Old 02-17-2019, 07:45 AM   #8

He was very close with his guess. Being off by one year doesn’t shake my confidence in his guidance.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 02-17-2019, 09:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
They are fairly a plug and play, but require replacement of the entire head light housing because the Lits use a motorized focusing lense assembly that is unique to the Lit housings. Beyond that, you will need to add a controller to the headlight wiring harness that controls the focusing lense movement. And a Mike noted they are anything but cheap, but they are some great lights.
You don't actually need the controller. They work just fine without it.
deathsled986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:03 AM   #10

With the the controller the xenon low beam lights rotate to supplement the halogen high beams. I added the controller a few months after my initial installation of the litronic headlights and the added benefit was worth the time and expense.