Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2021, 11:56 AM   #1

'06 987 Convertible Parts

Hello 986 forum. I posted this over on the pelican boxster board but hoping there might be someone here with insights that isn't on that board. Also hoping it's ok to post 987 questions on the 986 board.

Anyway, I recently purchased a 2006 Boxster. Somewhere along the line, most of the convertible top mechanism was removed. It works fine manually but I would like to get it working again the way it should. The only thing left is the motor, which works when connected to 12v, but not via the switch. Need to track down why that is, maybe just a fuse or microswitch. The mechanism is missing cables, transmissions, and linkages.

It seems there was a bit of a design change sometime during the 06 model year so I want to make sure I'm getting the appropriate parts. Mine is an early '06 model. It looks like the transmissions (and maybe some of the linkage pieces) are the same as the ones from the 986 Boxster (based on searching these parts on Pelican), but I'm having trouble verifying that b/c of different or superceded part numbers. Does anyone know which of these parts, if any, are the same that were used for the 986? My objective is to source these parts used, so knowing which year models to include in my search params will be super-helpful. There are a ton more used 986 parts than 987, especially since it seems like I can only look at 987 parts up to the mid '06 change. Anyway, if anyone can help, it would certainly be appreciated.

donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 02:34 PM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Start in section 811-00. 987.1 Boxster Parts Catalog

The mechanism break is based on VIN. Likely you could use the older versions since you’re replacing everything, but don’t quote me on that.

DC Auto is one good source on used parts. There are some on here that part our cars, too.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 05:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
Start in section 811-00. 987.1 Boxster Parts Catalog

The mechanism break is based on VIN. Likely you could use the older versions since you’re replacing everything, but don’t quote me on that.

DC Auto is one good source on used parts. There are some on here that part our cars, too.
Thanks Chris. Yeah, I've been looking at the catalog. My car has an earlier vin, and I was thinking the same thing about the older versions fitting since I need all the components. The only thing I'm unsure about is if the bolt patterns for the transmissions are the same, and if pushrod lengths/shape changed at all. Might just roll the dice on the 986 parts and give it a shot.

I want to get the issue with the motor sorted before buying any parts though. No point in getting the parts before that's working. I checked the fuses yesterday and that's not the problem. Going to check power at the switch and microswitches in the latch when I get some time.
donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:48 AM   #4

Hello Donk IMHO, you would be better off if you can find the same year model as your 986 on a junk yard (or a wrecker that specializes on Porsche on used parts) and get all the hardware that you need, this way you can be 100% sure that everything will work (and fit) as intended. Good luck!

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote