Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2006, 08:40 AM   #1

need good cleaning product for the plastic back window

...what is a good brand to clean that back plastic window as I am thinking it cannot be too harsh (windex might now be the best)...Thanks!

99 silver BMW 323i
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...rscheseule.jpg
vouvoune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:02 AM   #2

Plexus is a good product for that purpose.
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:38 AM   #3

Plastic Window Cleaner

Do not use Windex or any other product for glass cleaning. You need to use a plastic polish like Plexus. The cleaners in windex and other glass product remove the polymers in the plastic and will make you window brittle discolored. See below from Car Care Specialties:

Plastic Rear Window Care:
The last item on your agenda is the clear (or maybe not so clear) plastic rear window. Do not use glass cleaners on a plastic window, as they are too harsh and may actually damage plastic. There are several cleaners and polishes on the market that are specifically designed for plastic windows. Of the many that I have tried, the Mequiars, Renovo and One Grand products seem to work the best. I have found that Meguiars #18 Clear Plastic Detailer will help maintain a plastic window that does not have any scratches or clouding in top condition. Make sure that the window is clean and free of dust. Spray a small amount of the Meguiars #18 on a soft, 100% cotton flannel cloth and work into the surface, using linear strokes, left to right, right to left. Dont go around in circles, as the resulting swirls are very visible. Immediately buff off with another soft, 100% cotton flannel cloth. Do not allow to self dry. If there are scratches or discoloration, try either the two step Meguiars #17 Clear Plastic Cleaner followed with Meguiars #10 Clear Plastic Polish or the one step Renovo Plastic Window Polish or One Grand Plastic Cleaner & Polish. Apply a very small amount of either of these to a soft, 100% cotton flannel cloth. Work into the plastic with a linear motion, left to right, right to left, until all that remains is a faint haze. Immediately buff off with another soft. 100% cotton flannel cloth to crystal clarity. Do not allow to self dry. Depending upon the condition of the plastic, you may have to repeat several times. This will usually remove most light scratches. If not, you may have to resort to a more aggressive cleaning product. I have found that 3M Imperial Hand Glaze will remove almost all deeper scratches. Use a small amount of 3M Imperial Hand Glaze on a soft, 100% cotton flannel cloth and work into the surface with linear motions, left to right, right to left. Immediately buff off with another soft, 100% cotton flannel cloth. If the discoloration or scratches resists the 3M treatment, try adding a small amount (about the size of your pinkie nail) of P21S Multi Surface Finish Restorer Polish to a 100% cotton flannel cloth saturated with 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. Mix together on the cloth and gently rub the window in a linear motion and buff off with another 100% cotton flannel cloth. Follow with an application of Meguiars #17, then Meguiars #10 and you are done. If none of the above work, it may be time to call "1-800-new-window".

One of the problems many convertible owners encounter is a crease in the plastic window from repeated folding. The easiest way to minimize this problem is to use a super soft, 100% cotton blanket or towel that is a little larger than the rear window. Place the blanket/towel over the window as your fold the top down, so that the blanket/towel is folded within the rear window. The thickness of the blanket prevents the plastic window from creasing and also keeps the two halves from rubbing against each other. If you have a crease in the window, try parking in a very sunny area with the sun shining directly on the window. The heat will usually soften the window enough that the crease will disappear.
Cinnimon Brown Interior
[IMG]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...terPix3001.jpgIMG]

Last edited by bnorman; 09-18-2006 at 09:41 AM.
bnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:42 AM   #4

PLexus is also good for the windscreen and your headlights. Basically anything made of plastic. I use it on my helmets, bought a case of it.
For deep cleaning and swirl removal of the plastic try Renovo from openroadmotoring.com (they also sell 1z leather which is the best cleaner I've used)
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:03 AM   #5

Hi. I've used this product on motorcyle windshields and a plastic rear widow on an alfa I had, with great results.

Has anyone else used Novus products?

www.noscratch.com/novus/number3.shtml

bob
'04S
borla
BMC
BoxsterSbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:35 AM   #6

I've used the Novus products regularly since I got the car. Even the dealer is amazed at the condition of the rear window (which is original). The three step process Novus uses seems to work for me.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:38 AM   #7

Another vote for Plexus.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:05 PM   #8

I have used 1 Grand Plastic Polish product. It's OK, but seems to leave an oily residue. Maybe I just haven't buffed it enough.
The worst problem with the back window is trying to clean the inside. The roll bars keep getting in the way ...

Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote