Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2006, 05:38 PM   #1

Driving it where is meat to be driven!!!

Went for a 2 day mountain drive, wet, rainy , my friend is a racer and was driving a Peugeot RC , I was following in my 05 trip.

Weather wasnt good but had a blast anyway.

No traffic and a windy road in the mountains pushing the limits in the rain, got drifting the rear 3 times on the first day, the Boxster is just amazing !!!(PSM)
Handling, braking, suspension, everything I drove to my limit , my friend in front (who knows the road a lot) was driving his car to the limit (no contest at all for the Boxster).I was pushing him
At night he gave me some sport driving tips.
The second day , I was in front , the Boxster just smoked him,2, 3 , turns and I was gone.
Waited , and again 2 , 3 turns and I will be gone.
He races cars, Im just casual driver (Motorcycle racer) and new to sport driving, The Boxster was just perfect for this conditionds , big adrenaline rush, lots of fun.
Wasnt fast going,top speed the whole weekend was 80MPH ,was just tight turn after turn mostly 2nd gear and 3rd.

People worry too much about 0-60 times (although I dont like loosing almost a second to the 5 gear shift model), to me what counts is the handling, the Boxster will beat most sport cars in these conditionds.

So if anyone has never taken their Boxster to a Mountain road, go do it, you will be very impressed and have a blast.
Invite anyone with a Corvette, Mercedes,BMW and you will beat them for sure!!!

motoadve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 05:43 PM   #2

That sounds like you had a bunch of fun. Almost sounds scary. Next time be sure to bring a camera, digital or photographic. Sure beats my weekend of dogsitting.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 06:04 PM   #3

It felt a lot like when I used go mountain riding in the crouch rockets with my friends.We use to do it even in the rain too, and on the edge.

Difference is, in the Bike everytime I was on the edge I thought Im going to kill myself.This is too dangerous.
With the Boxster was" Im going to destroy the car" in one of the rear drifts I got a bit scared but the PSM straightened the car (its like cheating).

I dont go out on the mountains anymore with the bike, waay too fast and dangerous, got 3 close calls and that was enough.
The car can be dangerous too but its not as fast as the bike and you have some protection.
A small crash with the car can be a fatal one on a bike.
Knock on wood , and Im not planning on crashing and going that fast again in the wet ( a bit slower or smoother next time).
Ton of fun though!
Old 09-17-2006, 06:57 PM   #4

Pushing the limits on a public road is suicidal at best and murderous (to others) at worst. The controlled environment of a track in an organized event (expert instruction and oversight, rules, flaggers, pit-in, pit-out, etc.) should be the only place where one can explore the upper limits (40% and above) of what a car can do. Not knowing something is bad -- not knowing what you don't know is worse.

Pushing the limits in your Boxster may be safer compared to your death-wish adventures on the motorcycle, but it's still worlds away from rational or reasonable.

Just IMHO, as always.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:21 AM   #5

Im aware was not responsible doing this, but it is hard to slow down when you are having this much fun, and the turns were mostly 2nd gear with a few 3rd gear ones and roads deserted, I know, still no excuse to risk it.

To me its worse trying to race other cars on highways or cities trying to prove who is faster in a straight line and going very fast.(no skill involved at all)
I have read many stories and seen many privately owned videos of this.
I have never done that, even many times some drivers with their sporty cars go by my side and try to tempt me.

As I said before you are right with your advice and I appreciate it and will take it into consideration.