Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2019, 01:29 PM   #1
Pathological Tinkerer

RMS Issue

So I am looking to finish up my winter work and reinstall my engine this coming weekend and need to do the RMS/IMS.

I popped the RMS out yesterday and find that the previous installer didn’t know what the hell they were doing. Looks like a screwdriver and other tools were jammed in between a previous seal and the sealing bore surface to remove it. I can’t believe it. The bore surface is pretty rough in these spots. I can definitely feel the high spots in the aluminum. What a joke!

What is amazing about this is I have the service records of the work and the prior owner, an 50ish woman, was charged $2800 for the seal and a clutch job which was only a clutch disc based on what the other items look like. Work was performed 20k miles ago and the DMF is toast and pressure plate looks original. So that shop not only ripped her off but totally screwed it up in the process!! May the Porsche gods exact severe punishment!!

Ok, rant over...

So what to do?

I am leery of trying to fix the surface as particles/shavings will be impossible to keep out of the engine.

Would a little Curil T on the seal outer surface be a workable option even though it is supposed to be installed dry?

The seal had a very small leak from the area that would coagulate/dry. The seal was also installed flush with the bore surface.

With the very small leak and the seal not installed to the proper depth, I am leaning towards leaving the bore as is and reinstalling the new seal dry to the proper depth and seeing what happens.

Ideas? Thought?

Here is a pic of the sealing bore.

P_Carfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:58 PM   #2

New RMS.

Everything es is no solution and much too much additional work if this RMS fails.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:55 PM   #3

I would see if you could take down the rough edges on those before reinstalling the new seal. I hate hamfisted hack jobs...
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:38 AM   #4

Can you take a paper towel and roll it into a noodle and shove it in there ? Or maybe some rope of the correct diameter to fill the space ? My thoughts are to basically make a dam of sorts to stop any shavings/filings to go into the engine . Clean up the gouges the best you can , use a shop vac to suck out shavings then remove the shop towel or rope or whatever you used .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:52 AM   #5
Who's askin'?

Use a little curilT. You'll be fine. Depending on whose instructions you use, some say to use it anyway. I know others say dry. Mine is installed with curilT on the outer surface.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:41 AM   #6

Garage
That`s an easy fix. I`d just remove the sharp edges using sandpaper while covering the gap with a piece of cloth so the dust won`t get in. Then I`d just use curil-t or similar to seal the seal. If you do this, make sure you don`t touch the crank surface with the sandpaper where the seal-lip rides on.

Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote