Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2019, 03:47 PM   #1

Rain Water Leaking Into Hardtop

We've had quite a bit of rain fall here during the last 4 days in Los Angeles, and I learned that water is leaking through the weatherstrip of the hardtop.

I'm trying to figure out what is causing the leak, and some have suggested in a facebook group that I need to fine-adjust the hardtop using the five allen bolts by the red levers. I'm trying to get a grasp on how these five allen bolts work exactly? Do they need to be adjusted while the hardtop is latched on or when the hardtop is unlatched? Which bolts move the hard top in which direction?

I've tried tightening and untightening with both the hardtop latched and unlatched and I don't see any movements at all.

If anybody else has had experience with a leaking hardtop, please give me some direction.

Thanks!

phook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:58 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
How long has the hardtop been on your car? Does it squeak excessively? You can adjust it using the bolts to get a "tighter" fit, which may help it be more water tight.

Are there any noticeable gaps anywhere? Have you ever treated the seals with Gummi Pfledge? The seals could just be old and not "sealing" as well as they should.

You can adjust the entire top using the bolts which would probably help most with the seal against the front/windshield, you can also adjust the window tracks which is much more annoying to do. I have written about this before, here's how I adjust the top using the bolts:

Adjusting the hardtop is important to help reduce exessive squeaking and/or wind noise caused by poor fitment. I repeated this process several times the first few weeks after I installed my hardtop, as it was settling to my car. I also repeat this process when I reinstall the hardtop if it has been off the car for an extended period.

Inside the hardtop on each side, just above the spinlock levers there are two plastic covers that pop out to reveal three hex head bolts. To adjust the hardtop, secure the A-pillar clamp, then loosen the hex bolts on each side of the top. Have an assistant push forward and down as hard as possible on the hardtop, and tighten the bolts on each side. You may want to lock/unlock the spinlock levers while doing this. Repeat as necessary.