Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2019, 09:07 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: wa
Posts: 1
986 rear speakers - were subs an option?

I just picked up a 2000 Boxster S and it has rear speakers that are full range (not subwoofer). I've seen conflicting info about whether an option was available with an OEM subwoofer. I see subwoofer boxes on eBay (for example https://ebay.to/2D9QLbt). Is that just the same as what I already have and Porsche just calls the rear speakers a subwoofer or was it truly an "option"? Any ideas if I could just add that and it is plug and play or if it would require some wiring changes?

jj91709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:33 PM   #2
Who's askin'?
 
maytag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj91709 View Post
I just picked up a 2000 Boxster S and it has rear speakers that are full range (not subwoofer). I've seen conflicting info about whether an option was available with an OEM subwoofer. I see subwoofer boxes on eBay (for example https://ebay.to/2D9QLbt). Is that just the same as what I already have and Porsche just calls the rear speakers a subwoofer or was it truly an "option"? Any ideas if I could just add that and it is plug and play or if it would require some wiring changes?
Your link doesn't take me to anything but the Ebay homepage.
My '03 S has a true subwoofer on the rear deck. It looks like this:
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:11 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sanford NC
Posts: 2,344
Copy the complete link from his message and paste into a new tab. Don't include the (). Worked for me.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:47 PM   #4
Who's askin'?
 
maytag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Copy the complete link from his message and paste into a new tab. Don't include the (). Worked for me.
Thanks Mike. I hadn't looked that closely, just clicked it.



Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:48 PM   #5
Registered User
 
thom4782's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Foster City CA
Posts: 1,085
It would be hard to believe that a true subwoofer would fit in an 01 rear shelf. Speaker sizes are typically 10" or greater. Anything smaller is more marketing hype that an actual subwoofer.
__________________
'87 951
'01S 986 (Sold after 16 years ownership)
'78 924 (carburated; sold when moving to CA)
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:58 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Qckslvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 152
If you are 6' or under I know a pair of Alpine 10" self powered sub boxes will fit behind both seats in a 01 Boxster. They came with my car when I bought it so I am not sure of their power output, but it is enough to rattle the car, and give a back massage
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:48 AM   #7
Registered User
 
mikesz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cranston RI
Posts: 860
Garage
Somewhere on this forum I saw someone who made a sub enclosure and put it in the passenger footwell. Just sayin
__________________
99 Porsche Boxster
mikesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:38 AM   #8
Registered User
 
lkchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA
Posts: 656
The original equipment door speakers are woofers, at least on pre-2003. The crossover for the low frequencies is part of the amp in the trunk.

Here's some interesting information ...

I installed the rear shelf speakers and in conjunction fitted a 6X40 amp from a 996/911 to replace the original 4X40 amp. (all 911 come with rear speakers). There are two versions of the 911 amp ... coupe and cabrio. The coupe amp I tried first didn't impress much, but when I fitted a cabrio amp the door speakers came alive and now it's obvious they are woofers. I think Porsche goofed up on specs for the original 4X40 amp and it didn't drive the woofers as well as it should be. Your original amp probably has 323 in the part number ... get the cabrio amp with 323 in part number.

The original Porsche (Becker) radio has two sets of outputs ... direct to speaker and to aux amp. Both have front and rear terminals. The lazy guy approach to retrofitting the rear shelf speakers is to use the direct to speaker outputs. The right way is to get the 6X40 amp. If you didn't have door speakers in the first place, you didn't have the aux amp, and it's then difficult and wouldn't call you lazy. Either way, when you finally fit rear shelf speakers and run them from the rear outputs, your fader control finally works.

The terms 4X40 and 6X40 may be confusing. For Boxsters with 4X40 this means 4 channels, but the channels are front dash speakers and door subwoofers. For 6X40 there are 6 channels, front dash, door woofer and rear. In all cases the fronts and rears are full range and the OE dash speakers have tweeters with the high frequency crossover at the speaker units themselves. Things changed for 2003 with the MOST system, and I can't comment definitively. Also for the earlier models, if you have the BOSE system and/or the equalizer unit in your dash stack, my ideas likely aren't applicable either.
__________________
Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
2001 Boxster
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
3 BMW motorcycles

Last edited by lkchris; 01-16-2019 at 09:55 AM.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:03 AM   #9
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6
 
paulofto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 1,039
Garage
The 2003 and 2004 with MOST and a rear deck box are set up as follows.

2 Dash tweeters
2 Dash mid range
2 Door woofers
2 Rear mid range
2 Rear tweeters

There is no 'sub woofer' anywhere and quite frankly the system doesn't need one unless you really want a rolling thumper on wheels. The system is designed for hi-fidelity (which it delivers) and not artificial bass heavy low fidelity sound.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:42 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 78
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
The original equipment door speakers are woofers, at least on pre-2003. The crossover for the low frequencies is part of the amp in the trunk.

Here's some interesting information ...

I installed the rear shelf speakers and in conjunction fitted a 6X40 amp from a 996/911 to replace the original 4X40 amp. (all 911 come with rear speakers). There are two versions of the 911 amp ... coupe and cabrio. The coupe amp I tried first didn't impress much, but when I fitted a cabrio amp the door speakers came alive and now it's obvious they are woofers. I think Porsche goofed up on specs for the original 4X40 amp and it didn't drive the woofers as well as it should be. Your original amp probably has 323 in the part number ... get the cabrio amp with 323 in part number.

The original Porsche (Becker) radio has two sets of outputs ... direct to speaker and to aux amp. Both have front and rear terminals. The lazy guy approach to retrofitting the rear shelf speakers is to use the direct to speaker outputs. The right way is to get the 6X40 amp. If you didn't have door speakers in the first place, you didn't have the aux amp, and it's then difficult and wouldn't call you lazy. Either way, when you finally fit rear shelf speakers and run them from the rear outputs, your fader control finally works.

The terms 4X40 and 6X40 may be confusing. For Boxsters with 4X40 this means 4 channels, but the channels are front dash speakers and door subwoofers. For 6X40 there are 6 channels, front dash, door woofer and rear. In all cases the fronts and rears are full range and the OE dash speakers have tweeters with the high frequency crossover at the speaker units themselves. Things changed for 2003 with the MOST system, and I can't comment definitively. Also for the earlier models, if you have the BOSE system and/or the equalizer unit in your dash stack, my ideas likely aren't applicable either.
Do you need to have a different connector/harness to support the extra speakers or does the factory loom already support them with the 911 amp?
harrg67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:51 AM   #11
Registered User
 
morgal48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 168
The factory Haes 6X40 amp has an internal low pass filter that cuts frequencies above 50Hz. 40W to the door subs essentially makes them paperweights. With a proper amp the sound from the two 5-1/4" subs in the doors will come alive. If your rear deck speakers are original, the paper cone part of the speakers will be in little pieces on the shelf deck. They are, it is said, for filler only. Howsomever, with the proper amp one can adjust the balance and make them more than filler. All eight speakers (2-ways now in the dash) provide great sound if I turn the CDR220 on.
__________________
2000 Boxster S
2010 Volvo XC60
2011 GMC Denali HD 6.6L
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:41 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
Somewhere on this forum I saw someone who made a sub enclosure and put it in the passenger footwell. Just sayin
I modified a 996 cabriolet bose subwoofer box goes in passenger foot well. Used an 8 pioneer sub driver, sounds great, not earth rattling bass but does a solid job feeling end the low end. I use the sub channel off my Alpine amp to power it.
__________________
2000 Boxster S Ocean Blue Metalic
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:31 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
I modified a 996 cabriolet bose subwoofer box goes in passenger foot well. Used an 8 pioneer sub driver, sounds great, not earth rattling bass but does a solid job feeling end the low end. I use the sub channel off my Alpine amp to power it.
Do you have any pictures or details on this?
JavPit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:59 AM   #14
Registered User
 
mikesz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cranston RI
Posts: 860
Garage
What ikchris said, I replaced my stock amp in the frunk with a 6x40 cabrio amp cheap upgrade.
__________________
99 Porsche Boxster
mikesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:03 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavPit View Post
Do you have any pictures or details on this?
I have a thread in the site I will try to find it and link back for you.

__________________
2000 Boxster S Ocean Blue Metalic
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
stereo upgrade


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page