Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2019, 05:13 PM   #1
rjs6ec

Post fender bender body work advice

Hi Guys,

First post here looking for some advice. I bought a 2003 Boxster S with 26k miles last Spring. I've put about 10k miles on it to date and had an awesome time. Unfortunately last week I got backed into low-speed while in a parking lot.

I took what appears to be cosmetic damage to my left fender and bumper. There is a clear dent. I drive the car 40 miles home, so it otherwise seems to be in good shape.

I've never been in an accident or dealt with the process of insurance before. I had a police report filed, which I picked up today. It confirms the other driver was at fault. I called my insurance company day-of to get things started. From what I gather I shouldn't have to pay anything?

In terms of repairs, would anyone recommend going through a Porsche dealer vs. private shop? I called the local Porsche place, but they said they send their cars away to another company in PA (I'm in NJ). For regular maintenance I take take my cars to an independent mechanic with much better rates. Is Porsche likely to be over the rates insurance will pay for? I haven't gotten any quotes yet. I don't have a ton of free time.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Robby

Attached Images

rjs6ec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:20 PM   #2

Relax. Your ins co will handle the hassle. If it was the other driver's fault and they have ins, you should not have to pay.

Where exactly are you located? Someone from the area will probably have a good suggestion for you to have your car repaired.

Good luck. Everything will be fine.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:34 PM   #3
rjs6ec

Thanks for the reassurance. Just trying to figure out how to get her to as close to pre-accident condition as possible. It's kind of crazy how fast I've gone so many times, then someone just bumps into me at the worst place.

I'm around Princeton.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:30 PM   #4

Ask the insurance company who they use but also investigate the reputation of the P-car dealer recommendation.

Since the wheel was hit, you may need both body work and suspension work which may involve the dealer. The body will be the easy part. But get an inspection for suspension component damage including mounts for the engine and rear axle. Even the half shafts. Certainly a wheel repair.

So to get the car back in shape, you may have to deal with three different shops.

Been there, one totaled, one repaired good as new and better than when I bought it.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:33 PM   #5

I just got my '03 S on the road. Its my first time I have driven a Boxster. I have to say parking lots are a DANGER to these little, low cars. They scare the heck out of me so I have been trying to avoid them. If I do find myself in one, I take the same approach as a motorcycle rider and assume everyone is out to cream me.
Glad to see your damage is minimal and should be an easy fix....Rear quarters on the other hand.....
Ottomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:32 PM   #6

10-4 on the motorcycle comment. I have both boxster and Harley. Some days I feel like I have a target on my back side. Between the cell phones inexperienced or elderly drivers it's open season on biker's. Now we just voted to let all the potheads out of the closet. Here in Michigan with no fault that would be on you in a private lot like that. I think you could sue in small claims court. This summer I had a chick blow a red light and Total my Cadillac. I finally got my deductible back first week of December. Sorry for the rant but I had to vent. Good luck with your situation it looks like an easy repair
MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:30 AM   #7
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Any damage to the roof?
Old 01-08-2019, 04:45 PM   #8
rjs6ec

No damage except to the fender and bumper. Anyone have experience /recs on getting something like this fixed via Porsche?

Unfortunately got a call from insurance today and the other driver's coverage was lapsed, so it looks like I'll be out $500 for uninsured motorist deductible, which they may be able to recover or I could do small claims.

Not a cheap trip to Taco Bell.