Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8
Winter Storage Tips?

1st question: I have a battery tender for my 98 boxter that I am going to keep in a car port. Can I hook it up without disconnecting the battery? Will it mess up the onboard computer?


2nd question: I have the car in one of those storage car ports in my yard. I don't have a garage. The storage port is good to keep the rain and weather off, but the grass floor is no good. I know that's a killer. They say gravel holds moisture. Any ideas on flooring to save the car frame?

ajsimon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:11 PM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsimon85 View Post
1st question: I have a battery tender for my 98 boxter that I am going to keep in a car port. Can I hook it up without disconnecting the battery? Will it mess up the onboard computer?


2nd question: I have the car in one of those storage car ports in my yard. I don't have a garage. The storage port is good to keep the rain and weather off, but the grass floor is no good. I know that's a killer. They say gravel holds moisture. Any ideas on flooring to save the car frame?
1. I'm sure minds far sharper than mine will chime in... but... wouldn't you use the battery tender to keep the battery from draining and, if you disconnected the battery, the effort would be moot?

2. Unless your winter is 9 months long, you should be fine parking it on grass. Again... sharper minds may chime in.

Chers!
__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:12 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Ciao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Denver
Posts: 769
Garage
#1. I've hooked up my battery tender to the cigarette lighter every winter without disconnecting the battery and without issues.
__________________
5280 Cruising @High Altitude
Seal Gray & K&N Filter
Ciao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:31 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Stow, MA
Posts: 841
Garage
I bought a LifeTime 21' by 11' garage shed for one of our Boxsters. The car sits on 2"x8" white pine planks that run the length of the shed. The floor is a platform built from 2"x4" pressure treated pine covered by 3/4" pressure treated plywood. The platform rests on 4" of crushed stone. About $4K for all the the materials and several days assembly.

Google LifeTime 21x11 garage shed.
__________________
2004 Boxster S Silver - FUNTOY
2002 Boxster Base Guardsy Red - FUNBOX
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
2015 Chevrolet Volt
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:17 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NY Suburbs
Posts: 276
What about summer performance tires sitting in the cold for several months? Won't they flat spot? And low profile, high performance tires are most susceptible to this. What do people do to prevent this, besides putting the car on jack stands for the winter?
__________________
2004 Boxster S, 6 spd, Triple Black
1986 944 Turbo (sold in 1988)
Since then, a 300ZX, a few BMW 3 Series, a few VW's

Last edited by BoxMann; 12-20-2018 at 04:19 PM.
BoxMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:02 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sanford NC
Posts: 2,341
A collection of winter storage tips are here.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:41 AM   #7
Registered User
 
kk2002s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: S. New Jersey
Posts: 1,210
Garage
Since your in NJ do you plan on doing some driving during the winter?
I will drive mine during the winter.
I put my battery tender on periodically. If it's been a 2-3 weeks since last drive (This goes for all year long) I will put my tender, directly connected to the battery, on for a few hours. It typically starts off in charge mode, then an hour so later goes to float. My battery is a couple years old.

I go have a garage but I store my motor home outside (with RV cover) on the grass through the winter. But the tires are up on 2" x 6" so it is up off the grass and so it doesn't sink in when the grass gets wet

Summer tires will flat when parked for extended time (any time of year) so when I plan on a drive, I roll out of the garage and have it sit at a different tire location for some time. Then just drive a moderate pace until they roll out
__________________
2002 S - old school third pedal
Seal Grey
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 06:02 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMann View Post
What about summer performance tires sitting in the cold for several months? Won't they flat spot? And low profile, high performance tires are most susceptible to this. What do people do to prevent this, besides putting the car on jack stands for the winter?
Yes the tires will flat spot, but when put back into service they will shake off the flat spots in about 5 min. of driving.

Jacking the car up and letting the suspension hang is not a good thing. Porsche released a TSB on this years ago, warning that doing so could lead to damaged struts from corrosion on the shafts.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 06:55 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Arlington Heights, IL
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsimon85 View Post
1st question: I have a battery tender for my 98 boxter that I am going to keep in a car port. Can I hook it up without disconnecting the battery? Will it mess up the onboard computer?


2nd question: I have the car in one of those storage car ports in my yard. I don't have a garage. The storage port is good to keep the rain and weather off, but the grass floor is no good. I know that's a killer. They say gravel holds moisture. Any ideas on flooring to save the car frame?
1) Plug into the cig lighter.

2) Park on a thick mil painter's tarp from Home Depot. May help a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMann View Post
What about summer performance tires sitting in the cold for several months? Won't they flat spot? And low profile, high performance tires are most susceptible to this. What do people do to prevent this, besides putting the car on jack stands for the winter?
Easy. Pump up tires to about 55 psi.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:25 AM   #10
Registered User
 
flouese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Callahan, FL
Posts: 374
My best winter storage tip is to move to Florida!
__________________
99 Boxster base
1966 912 3 gauge
flouese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:56 AM   #11
98 Arctic silver 986
 
tommy583's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 1,238
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flouese View Post
My best winter storage tip is to move to Florida!
Haha. Great tip, my wife would agree. But if I could drive my Boxster year round I figure i'd have about 300,000 miles on it by now.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:01 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NY Suburbs
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by flouese View Post
My best winter storage tip is to move to Florida!
As long as you don't mind living inside a steam room for 6+ months per year.

Ask me how I know.
__________________
2004 Boxster S, 6 spd, Triple Black
1986 944 Turbo (sold in 1988)
Since then, a 300ZX, a few BMW 3 Series, a few VW's
BoxMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:03 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NY Suburbs
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Yes the tires will flat spot, but when put back into service they will shake off the flat spots in about 5 min. of driving.
I've read that usually that will work, but sometimes the flat spot could be partially permanent, where it never returns 100% back to normal. Was I misinformed?
__________________
2004 Boxster S, 6 spd, Triple Black
1986 944 Turbo (sold in 1988)
Since then, a 300ZX, a few BMW 3 Series, a few VW's
BoxMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:49 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Ciao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Denver
Posts: 769
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMann View Post
I've read that usually that will work, but sometimes the flat spot could be partially permanent, where it never returns 100% back to normal. Was I misinformed?
Air up the tires to 50 psi. and roll the P car a few inches every 4 to 5 months prevents flat spots
__________________
5280 Cruising @High Altitude
Seal Gray & K&N Filter
Ciao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:10 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Air up the tires to 50 psi. and roll the P car a few inches every 4 to 5 months prevents flat spots
Totally unnecessary. We store several exotics for special customers, they are all put away freshly serviced and washed, tires at normal pressures, and sit all winter (sometimes for as much as 5 months for customers that spend the winter in warmer climes). They are not started, or moved, the entire time. In the spring, the tires recover in about 5 min driving. Permanent flat spotting is an "old wives"/internet myth......
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:11 AM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMann View Post
I've read that usually that will work, but sometimes the flat spot could be partially permanent, where it never returns 100% back to normal. Was I misinformed?
If you get "permanent" flat spotting, it is because of crappy tires, not storage technique.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:27 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 298
Garage
Rather than plugging a battery tender into the lighter socket, I open the frunk, attach the cables to the battery by running the wire through the windshield opening, then close the frunk. Place a towel underneath the wiring on the outside of the car to prevent abrasion. Then cover with a quality rain resistant cover. We had 2 inches of rain in NY today, and the rain beaded up and rolled of my California Car Cover.
Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:50 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Ciao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Denver
Posts: 769
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Totally unnecessary. We store several exotics for special customers, they are all put away freshly serviced and washed, tires at normal pressures, and sit all winter (sometimes for as much as 5 months for customers that spend the winter in warmer climes). They are not started, or moved, the entire time. In the spring, the tires recover in about 5 min driving. Permanent flat spotting is an "old wives"/internet myth......
Flat spotting is reality, can occur, and not an old wives tale.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=42
__________________
5280 Cruising @High Altitude
Seal Gray & K&N Filter
Ciao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:43 PM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcloud View Post
Rather than plugging a battery tender into the lighter socket, I open the frunk, attach the cables to the battery by running the wire through the windshield opening, then close the frunk. Place a towel underneath the wiring on the outside of the car to prevent abrasion. Then cover with a quality rain resistant cover. We had 2 inches of rain in NY today, and the rain beaded up and rolled of my California Car Cover.
Great Advice! Thank You
ajsimon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:47 PM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8
Great Tips folks I will try the advice listed.

ajsimon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page