Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #1

Can any of you electrical gurus take a crack at this question please?

Below is a photo of the power seat power receptacle from the 987.1 Boxster that I just bought. The power seat is not moving, and it's stuck in the rearmost position. I need to move it forward to get to the rear bolts. I need to remove the seat to get to what is called the rear body control module that is under the seat in the same position as the immobilizer in the 986. The module got wet, and I think it's why the seat won't move to begin with, among a few different maladies.

All I can think of is to bypass the module and power the seat directly with 12v DC, and then try to move it. Does anyone have any idea which of these terminals would need to be powered - + and -, to get the seat switch to work and move the seat forward?

Barring that, maybe someone has an idea how to get to the rear bolts on the seat? I know this is a 987 question on the 986 forum, but I know there's lots of talent and experience here, hopefully someone can help or has some alternative ideas.

Posted below is a photo of the plug receptacle under the seat.

Thanks!

Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:35 PM   #2

I cannot provide direct assistance, but here’s a link that may provide some information on the seat’s electronic components. https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/box_997_seats/box_997_seats.htm

You may also be able to remove the seat bottom cushion and access the module from above. Here’s a link to 986 seat disassembly instructions: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vpX4D693D1I

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:27 PM   #3

Doug,

I am not an electrical guru....but just thinking aloud is there a manual override of the locking mechanism and a crank port on the seat motor you can get to with a flex drive extension....

Are there special tools and mirrors you can employ to get at the rear seat rail bolts as is? You have to remove the console and firewall trim. The seats are pretty heavy...

Can you get hold of a 987 wiring schematic to determine which plug terminals to apply voltage to? I am hoping that there is not a separately actuated lock to power as well
Old 12-11-2018, 09:46 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Can you get a shot of the wires coming out of the back of the connector so we can see the wire colors?

What controls does the seat have (front/back, tilt, height front and back, lumbar)?

This looks like an input connector for a control module (maybe seat memory). I see 2 power connections and 6 signal connections. Where did the wires that plug into it come from? Can you get a picture of that connector and it's wires?

Last edited by particlewave; 12-11-2018 at 09:51 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:20 AM   #5

I worked on the driver seat of my 986.2 (2004 Boxster) last week and learned a little about the connections and motor controls. The picture you show does not look like a motor control plug. The motor control plugs on my car can be accessed from the front of the seat and you can even unscrew the 2 torx screws holding the control module to the seat (see red arrow at top left). The power input is indicated by the central lower arrow, and the three motors are powered by the three connectors circled to the right. I assume you could unplug these motor cables and supply power directly to the motors by connecting + to either red or black (forward and reverse) and - to the neutral (white).
Old 12-12-2018, 08:40 AM   #6

Garage
I think you will have better luck if you remove the control panel on the side of the seat and apply power at the rocker switch that controls the function there. The seat plug simply supplies power to the various switches, but the rocker switches complete the circuit and direct voltage and polarity to the motors.

Last edited by 911monty; 12-12-2018 at 08:45 AM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:05 PM   #7

Thanks to so many of you and others for offering generous advice and wisdom. I got the seat out! I'll start another thread about how so that those with this problem in the future will find it easier to find on a search. This work was on 987.1, not a 986, so I hope all of you and the forum moderators won't mind me posting it here on the 986forum. I figure there's enough similarities in the 986 and 987 that it'll be helpful to all. Thanks again everyone, what a relief.

By the way, the rear body control module, which sits in the same well as the immobilizer in a 986, is shot. However the seat memory module which is strapped the the underside of the drivers seat cushion, is untouched. That's great news in that is tells me that I do not have to replace the module as it's pristine and untouched. More importantly it tells me that the water in the car was even lower than I thought, it did't even reach the underside of the seats. Great news. :dance:

Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote