Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2018, 04:01 PM   #1

Garage
Shrink wrap for winter?

Hi all. I recently lost garage space for my 04 Boxster. I live on Long Island in NY. I haven’t been able to find an indoor garage at a decent price. I am thinking of putting the car on a battery tender and having it shrink wrapped. They put a protective layer on the car first so the paint is not disturbed. This will be for about a 3-4 month period. It will be in my driveway blocked by a SUV. Anybody out there doing a similar solution? Thanks.

Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:06 PM   #2

So glad I live in FL....
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:51 PM   #3

I have a 10 wide, 30 deep storage shed in Tucson AZ, costs $150 a month. Surely something like that is available in NY? Mine even has a light and and electrical outlet. Shrink wrap vs car cover? No difference IMHO.

DGHII: I'm glad you live in FL, too.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:57 PM   #4
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
or California. It actually rained today. It was frightening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
So glad I live in FL....
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:09 AM   #5

Garage
No expert but I would be afraid of the shrink wrap retaining dampness and humidity and causing premature rust/oxidation.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:42 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
No expert but I would be afraid of the shrink wrap retaining dampness and humidity and causing premature rust/oxidation.
I would be concerned about this also. You would also be making a wonderful habitat for critters, dry and no wind Personally, I would look harder for indoor storage even if it was an hour away.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:37 AM   #7

Lets remember, this is New York, garage and parking is already at a premium. Not sure he would find $150 month space in Long Island.
redciv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:36 AM   #8

Maybe even go further out? Jersey or something? I'm with the rest... shrink wrapping outside seems dubious to me. Moisture is still moisture and there would be no way to avoid condensation with temp/sun fluctuations. I'm envisioning shrink wrap almost like a vapor barrier. Not the best for a car I would think.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:43 AM   #9

Garage
The problem is that moisture isn't just water dropping from the heavens. After a cold night followed by a warm rain you will get condensation on all metal parts. Those that are well ventilated will dry our fairly quickly, but the poorly ventilated parts will take a long time to dry out. When boats are shrink wrapped there's usually a frame over the deck and cabin that keeps the cover away from those parts. Additionally, boats are built to be wet all the time.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:55 AM   #10

Try looking for indoor storage outside of the metro area.....might need to drive 50 to 75 miles away to find better pricing but it's worth a try. I know a few that drive a long way from where they live and rent one of those storage lockers. they are small but the Porsche really doesn't take too much room and if they have electric you can hook up a maintainer. Bottom line you might need to bite the bullet for 3-4 months.

Another idea would be to check out any small airports in your area to see if you can rent a corner of a hangar. Your Porsche can easily fit under the wings of many planes.....lots of pilot/plane owners seldom fly in the winter....just a thought.
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:50 PM   #11

Garage
I have been looking. In the NY area it’s 400 a month. The shrink wrap uses vents, plus a pre-cover to protect the paint. I have looked for private garages, storage units, etc. I can also put anti-dessicants inside the car. I think it would be worth a shot. If I do, I will report back. When they shrink wrap boats, they also include venting to prevent mildew and moisture, pulse there are marine products available to combat moisture as well. The situation sucks. Winter is coming. I have a great California car cover as well. Thanks for the replies.
Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:49 PM   #12

Lots of people shrink wrap boats for winter and let them sit outside with no issue. Why would a car be any different?
ExplorerLyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:24 PM   #13

I shrink wrapped my jet boat one year for storage through the winter. The wrap was very nice, and kept my boat from flooding during the few rains we had that year.

Come summertime. All my polished aluminum bits were oxidized to hell. Took me hours to repolish every thing. And apparently some rodent liked my vacuum lines. Lucky for me it was a jet boat and only had two vacuum lines

I would be afraid that with the car wrapped up nice and cozy. It would be a perfect home for little critters to camp in.
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 12:27 AM   #14

Wouldn't it be better to buy a decent quality fitted car cover? My boxster has lived outside under a cover through the last 4 or 5 British winters with no ill effects....in fact it looks great when the cover is removed. Just ensure it's cleaned and waxed before you cover it. Cheers Jon
jonogt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:34 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonogt6 View Post
Wouldn't it be better to buy a decent quality fitted car cover? My boxster has lived outside under a cover through the last 4 or 5 British winters with no ill effects....in fact it looks great when the cover is removed. Just ensure it's cleaned and waxed before you cover it. Cheers Jon
Yep, I would do this before shrink wrapping. The shrink wrap sounds good, but the post above this one about the boat tells me this is not a good idea.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:14 AM   #16

What about a Car capsule? It’s reusable but not sure if it works outside.
CDNIcecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:54 AM   #17

Kept my Boxster under a Noah fabric cover for 5 winters. Cover and car were perfect any time I took the cover off. Yes had battery maintainer on too via an extension cord run under the passenger door (since my spare driveway was on the left side of the house). Cal Car Covers was my source. Came in a bag, fit in the frunk when not in use. One man install. soft inner surface, kinda like fleece. I did wash the car before put away to make sure there was no dirt to create abrasives between the clearcoat and the fabric. Had probably 10" smow max on top and ice sheets. At time when things were melting I'd push the snow off with a push broom and stick the cover in a garage to dry while I took the car for a gentle but long run. Both the car and the cover survived beautifully. Never a drop of moisture on the car when uncovered.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:09 PM   #18

How about one of the tents people use as garages. A friend of mine has parked 3-4 cars in there for years with Boston winters. No problems.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 05:05 PM   #19

What about ordering one of those PODS ?

Last edited by gman1113; 12-01-2018 at 05:27 PM.
gman1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 05:31 PM   #20

I think cost might be different which is why I suggested the simple cover. No installation charges. One time. No risk of wind damage to the structure. I've seen the bill for shrink wrapping yachts for the winter. This is peanuts.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote