Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2018, 10:20 AM   #1

2007 Boxster - $6k worth of repairs

Hi I have a 2007 boxster... It was making a horrible noise last week so I took it to the Porsche dealership.. today I got the bad news..

Air/oil separator needs to be replaced (this is the primary issue)
Air/Oil separator replacement total $855.0
They said they also found 3 leaks:
Rear main seal $3000
transmission pan gasket $1250
drivers side cv shaft (axle?) $1400

So the horrible noise was due to the air oil separator, that has to be fixed.. but I think only one of the leaks was serious, the others are slow leaks..

One possibility, I usually get it worked on (brake pads) by a mechanic who works out of his garage, I put a call in to him, Im sure he would charge less than the dealership, ... do you know if any of these issues could be address by this type of guy? or would you need the apparatus they have in the shop to fix these?

lurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:29 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
AOS is an easy DIY.
After you replace that yourself, get under the car and see if and how bad the others are. RMS is a big job as the transmission needs to be removed, but the axle and pan gasket are both easy DIY fixes.

All of the repairs can be done by a moderate DIYer, certainly by a competent mechanic.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:58 PM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
AOS is an easy DIY.
After you replace that yourself, get under the car and see if and how bad the others are. RMS is a big job as the transmission needs to be removed, but the axle and pan gasket are both easy DIY fixes.

All of the repairs can be done by a moderate DIYer, certainly by a competent mechanic.
+1

I'm a DIY. Replaced my AOS in <2 hours. Part ~$125.

I'll be pulling my own transmission pan. Parts ~$90. Fluid ~$60.

Those 2 you could do yourself. Save the quid for upgrades... mods... and beer. When it comes time for axle work... I'll be consulting the forum.

The RMS. Ouch.

Good luck.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #4

As others have said, the AOS is a DIY job. Suncoast has them for the best price - less than $100. You'll add a stack of $1s to the swear jar, but way cheaper than $8 bills.

The RMS charge is WAY over priced.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:57 PM   #5
On the slippery slope

Garage
Bring your car out to sunny San Diego and my guy will probably do all that for around 50% of that rip off pricing

For example, he replaced one of my rear axles for around $500 parts and labor
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:34 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

How bad is the rear main seal leak? If its just a seep (oil on the bottom of the engine but no drops) or only a couple of drips now and then, then you can probably live with it for quite a while. If its leaving drops on a daily basis, then it should be repaired. Dropping the transmission, replacing the RMS, and re-installing the trans should run around $1200-$1500 at an independent mechanic.

Same for the transmission pan leak. But this one is fairly easy to replace so your mechanic should be able to do it for much cheaper.

Its important to replace the CV joint boot if its torn or leaking. Your mechanic should be able to do that for much less than the dealer.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:30 PM   #7
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Ooo, dealer prices. Nasty nasty!
The RMS is a bit of a challenge for a DYI project but the rest are quite do-able for the moderately handy (and fearless)Porsche owner. It’s an old car now and maintenance and upgrades are half the fun!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:49 PM   #8
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurky View Post
Hi I have a 2007 boxster... It was making a horrible noise last week so I took it to the Porsche dealership.. today I got the bad news..

Air/oil separator needs to be replaced (this is the primary issue)

Air/Oil separator replacement total $855.0

They said they also found 3 leaks:

Rear main seal $3000

transmission pan gasket $1250

drivers side cv shaft (axle?) $1400

So the horrible noise was due to the air oil separator, that has to be fixed.. but I think only one of the leaks was serious, the others are slow leaks..

One possibility, I usually get it worked on (brake pads) by a mechanic who works out of his garage, I put a call in to him, Im sure he would charge less than the dealership, ... do you know if any of these issues could be address by this type of guy? or would you need the apparatus they have in the shop to fix these?

I’m competent with a wrench but not trained mechanic nor have much practice. I replaced the AOS, both drive shafts (need alignment afterwards, 80 bucks) and did the tranny service to include pan gasket of course.
Parts were 100 bucks for AOS and 2 hours
Parts for drive shafts were 200 bucks and about 1.5 hours each side
Parts for transmission where 6 quarts of tranny fluid at about 11 bucks a quart and a 10 dollar gasket, I spent about 2 hours, but an hour of this was cleaning everything and scrubbing the pan, etc.
do it yourself or learn exactly how and direct an independent on how you want it done.
It’s fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:44 PM   #9
Artist, 986S tinkerer

@tonythetiger
Exactly!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:59 PM   #10

Where are you in CT? I'm local and I'd be willing to help with the AOS at least (I've done that before)

Never done an axle on the porsche, but other germans. RMS is probably out of my depths, but I've never failed at a project...
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:53 PM   #11

The hardest part of doing the axles is taking off and retorqueing the axle nut. It requires 3 men, 2 children and a six pack as well as a BFW!!!
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:17 AM   #12

Garage
What you need to do is find a competent porsche independent mechanic that knows these cars but charges a fraction of the stealership. My guy redid both my CV joints for 600 bucks this year. Aos was about 450 installed.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:34 AM   #13

Oh lordy those prices are absurd. How can they possibly justify nearly $900 for the aos!
jonogt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:30 AM   #14

Find a nice independent Euro car shop and get a second or even third opinion. Probably the most labor intensive part is taking the transmission out to get the RMS. But while it's out, the cv axles could be cleaned and new boots could be installed, and the trans pan gasket could get replaced.

I wonder if the dealer is figuring the labor for each repair separately. Only need to take the trannie out once for most of this. The AOS could be replaced while the trannie is out and the rear of the engine is easier to access. While you're having all this work done, get a magnetic drain plug, cheap. And a water pump.

6 G's is just insane!
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
It’s fun!
It IS fun. And if you are a competent home mechanic it's all doable. I replaced my 01 engine, rebuilt the drive shafts, etc. A puzzle, Porsche does things differently from other vehicles I've worked on. But the 'puzzley' parts are solvable and there really is a pride of accomplishment.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:05 AM   #16

I'm new here and this may be a dumb question, but can't the axle boot be more easily and cost effectively by replacing the entire axle(s) with new or rebuilt units. Just pop out the old ones and put in the new ones with new axles. Don't have to remove and deal with the axle nuts, right? (or am I wrong and don't yet understand how to work on Boxsters yet?).

There are inexpensive options out there like this one: https://goo.gl/vT3J5n
Not sure this particular one fits a 2007 but there may be others.
geekdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:00 PM   #17
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
It IS fun. And if you are a competent home mechanic it's all doable. I replaced my 01 engine, rebuilt the drive shafts, etc. A puzzle, Porsche does things differently from other vehicles I've worked on. But the 'puzzley' parts are solvable and there really is a pride of accomplishment.

True dat. (80s quote)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote