Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2006, 07:19 AM   #1

Tail light assembly / DIY removal?

I searched using every term I could think without success. Please advise if possible.

My g/f had a "blonde moment" and backed into another vehicle with the '06 Boxster. Damage just beneath the drivers side tail light assembly. No damage to the assembly.

I tried to ease out the bumper cover with some suction cups but failed. I cannot easily access the damage from under the car.

If the tail light assembly can be removed I may be able to "pop out" the bumper cover that way. I do not own the EMS for this car and was hoping someone here could advise if this plan was feasible.

We intend to have the damage repaired properly....I was just hoping to lessen the rude appearnce in the short term.

Side note: she took the car to a local body shop that quoted ~$1600 for repairs which included:
~$700 for a new rear bumper cover
~$198 for a new tail light assembly - the thing is not even scratched and operates normally
~$do not remember to replace a heat shield - I'll have to research the location of this part

Thanks for any assistance. Kenny

KShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:00 AM   #2

Sounds familiar (see this post).

If the '06 is anywhere similar to my99 removal of the tail light assembly is fairly simple. Open the trunk and look behind where the taillight assembly is. Probably will have to remove a trim/cover piece and then you should see that there are several nuts holding the taillight system in place. After removing all the nuts, and disconnecting the part with the bulbs, the whole thing should just slide out...

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:42 PM   #3

Many thanks.

KShep is offline   Reply With Quote