Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2018, 08:14 PM   #1

Confused about 2004 stereo / radio options

I have a 2004 boxster WITHOUT the Bose option. My question is what is exactly the difference? I know that the Bose system is a problem when replacing the headunit but I thought it was easier with a non-Bose system. Apparently I still have that annoying ass fiber optic MOST connection and an amplifier in the frunk. So what exactly is easier about the non-Bose system or does every 03-04 stereo suck to work with?

Dr Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:13 AM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
Yup

If you go aftermarket, you need to run wires to a new amp in the frunk

IIRC, there is a MOST to analog converter made, but it a lot of $$ and not worth it

Frankly, add the rear speakers, replace the dash speakers and just use the factory head unit. It actually sounds pretty good.

Do a search, plenty of threads on this subject
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Yup

If you go aftermarket, you need to run wires to a new amp in the frunk

IIRC, there is a MOST to analog converter made, but it a lot of $$ and not worth it

Frankly, add the rear speakers, replace the dash speakers and just use the factory head unit. It actually sounds pretty good.

Do a search, plenty of threads on this subject

So what is the difference? I've searched but everything I've read is on the Bose system. Also some things have said that the non-Bose system is easier to work with but no real details other than that. Does anyone know what the actual differences between the systems are? I know that the Bose system had really low impedance speakers and that was another issue. Is my system the same?
Old 04-24-2020, 04:12 PM   #4

Just for future searches since there was no information on this... both the Bose and non-Bose system after 2003 uses their bull**************** MOST wiring to communicate from the head unit to the amplifier. So the only difference appears to be that a different amplifier is used with different connectors and there is no rear deck speaker enclosure.