Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #1

Wobbly steering?

Hey guys -

I've finally fixed my vibration issue (turns out the wheel balancing was done incorrectly) but I'm still experiencing some wobbly steering - especially when the car is first warming up in the morning. The front end does not feel planted, and it feels like I can wobble the wheel a good bit in either direction before the car "bites." I've had multiple alignments as I replaced suspension parts - struts, LCAs, track arms, wheel bearings, strut mounts, front drop links, front sway bushings are all new - and it's still there.

The shop that did the my wheel balancing correctly put my tire pressure pretty high (40 psi) because they guy said you have to match the tire pressure to how stiff your shocks are. Does this sound right? Also, the alignment shop dialed in the toe-out all the way to max within spec. Could any of these be the culprit? Or is there something else I'm overlooking?

Thanks!

Car is 2002 S with 87k miles.

speedyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:02 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
40psi it too high and lack of toe-in will make the front end feel loose and wander.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
40psi it too high and lack of toe-in will make the front end feel loose and wander.
Should the toe-in be set all the way to max within spec? Or at 0? Should I drop the 29 psi listed on the fuel filler cap? Or do people usually run a bit higher/lower?
Old 11-14-2018, 12:23 PM   #4

zero out the toe and run 32psi. car should feel better.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:18 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
I would try setting to what the factory says first both front and rear, then you can add some if needed, but keep about the same difference between rear and front. They should not be the same. As for alignment specs, did they not use porsche's specs? Just in general (with the exception of the ims) they put a lot of engineering into how this car rides and what it needs...I wouldn't argue with them.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
32 all around or 32 on the front? I just moved it to 32 on the front - does feel better, still a bit of wandering though. Rears are at 37.5 - haven't touched them yet.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
I would try setting to what the factory says first both front and rear, then you can add some if needed, but keep about the same difference between rear and front. They should not be the same. As for alignment specs, did they not use porsche's specs? Just in general (with the exception of the ims) they put a lot of engineering into how this car rides and what it needs...I wouldn't argue with them.
The alignment place used the factory settings but the toe is at the highest amount of toe-out acceptable on the factory specs.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:48 AM   #8

Garage
Excessive toe-out causes wandering.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyspaghetti View Post
32 all around or 32 on the front? I just moved it to 32 on the front - does feel better, still a bit of wandering though. Rears are at 37.5 - haven't touched them yet.
I run the car 32 all around on street tires.

if you have highest possible factory ok toe out, the car will still feel darty.

Like I said, zero the toe in front and put a little toe in on the rear, and the car should feel stable.

Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote