Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2018, 06:29 AM   #1

Is this a normal sound?

All,

I am doing some troubleshooting on my 2001 Boxster S. The car fells a little slugish on the gas, especially in low rpmīs and I have also had a few engine lights pointing to O2 sensors. All O2 sensors are now new, all filters, air and oil have been replaced and today I cleaned the throttle body. It runs a little smoother but it still sounds like it is gasping a little for air when I push the throttle. Is this normal or do I have a vacum leak somewhere? I shot a video of the gasping sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hywsIBly4Jk&feature=youtu.be

Stokholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:46 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokholm View Post
All,

I am doing some troubleshooting on my 2001 Boxster S. The car fells a little slugish on the gas, especially in low rpmīs and I have also had a few engine lights pointing to O2 sensors. All O2 sensors are now new, all filters, air and oil have been replaced and today I cleaned the throttle body. It runs a little smoother but it still sounds like it is gasping a little for air when I push the throttle. Is this normal or do I have a vacum leak somewhere? I shot a video of the gasping sound:

98 2.5

Mine makes that same sound. Looking forward to the responses.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:05 AM   #3

After some more troubleshooting i just found that the plastic tube that the Dipstick runs in is broken, see picture. Could it really be that simple?

Stokholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:38 AM   #4
Who's askin'?

Quote:
After some more troubleshooting i just found that the plastic tube that the Dipstick runs in is broken, see picture. Could it really be that simple?
Yes, it could be that simple. If that tube is broken then you do, indeed, have a vacuum leak, as the AOS is supplying vacuum to the crankcase.

Definitely fix it. and cross your fingers it's that simple.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #5

+1

Also check your oil filler tube carefully. I ended up pulling mine apart and resealing the joints.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #6

Have you changed the mass air flow sensor. I had the same thing on my 2000 S and also put new O2 sensors in and it didn’t fix it. Changed the MAS and problem solved.
gman1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:09 PM   #7

Quote:
All,

When I open the throttle very fast, I do hear that air gasp a moment before the engine revs up, but it is always like this and no check engine light or noticeable power loss/ sluggishness.... It is even more noticeable after I installed a larger 996 TB but I thought it is quite normal with original air box and intake system.

It is interesting if this is definitely abnormal, I may be missing something and a few horse powers???
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!

Last edited by Boxstard; 11-12-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:35 PM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Arghhhhh. I'll have to do some inspecting, myself, and see from where my little gasp is coming. (Hint: It's not my wife).