Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2018, 09:49 AM   #1

One BLOWN-UP 986 2.5 !

I bought the car under the impression it had a blown head-gasket.... I paid $1500 for it.

Car does run....but shouldn't....at least I know the crank isn't snapped in 3 pieces...

The exhaust spoodge reminds me of a 550 jet ski I used to race !

Anyway, with fluids leaking out of BOTH sides of the engine, I've got one hell of a rebuild on my hands.

Anyone got a 2.5 tip motor lying around ?

ALOHA from the Big Island !

Kelly

thekelzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:51 AM   #2

And while it was barely running the check engine light went out as normal.
Must not be anything wrong with it then eh? ha ha ha ha !
Old 10-23-2018, 10:59 AM   #3

Kelly,

Even if the engine is toast, you got a nice project for $1,500.. :-)

Hopefully the rest of the car is as nice as the rear bumper, please post more pics

Are you going to try to rebuild the engine yourself or just try to find a used engine?

Good luck
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:50 AM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Yep, she is toast! Drop the pan and have a look around. If it looks like a grenade went off and is full of shiny bits, she is a nice boat mooring anchor. If it looks clean except for intermix she is probably worth rebuilding if you have the time and talent. Otherwise a 996 3.4L or a Chevy LS3 V8 is a realistic option.

Good luck!
Old 10-23-2018, 02:37 PM   #5
MWS

Hope you get it running, you've got some nice roads on the big island...north, south, east, west or even the saddle...it's just beautiful. Haven't been there in about 10 years, but last time I spent about a month and really wished I had a Boxster to drive.

I'm sure you know the car culture there pretty well, but do you know a Porsche skilled mechanic on the island? Or are you planning to do all the work yourself?
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:00 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Buy a cheap eBay 2.5L replacement for $2500 and swap it yourself. With new plugs, air filter, oil, oil filter, and coolant, you'll be back on the road for less than $3K.

Here is one with 76K miles asking $2675 + $250 shipping. I'd ignore the BIN button and send the seller a PM and offer $2500 incl shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Porsche-Boxster-2-5L-Engine-76-189-miles/192506591508?fits=Model%3ABoxster&hash=item2cd2497914:g:zsAAAOSwOxNay6vr:rk:10f:0

Sorry, just saw that you're in Hawaii. You'll have to get a quote for shipping. Still worth pursuing.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:09 AM   #7

Thanks guys.

I'm crazy enough to try the rebuild myself as I know my way around suck, bang, blow devices, and once I drop the motor out and take a peak, I'll know more about what I'm looking at replacing.

Leaning HEAVILY on a used motor because I'm assuming I can drop $3000 in minor parts and gaskets pretty quickly trying to repair?

Since I'm new to Boxster, ASSUMING previous owner actually changed the oil, what is the typical "blow up" mileage....so when I'm searching used I know what mileage to avoid..

Mahalo,
Kelly.

p.s. Here's my 914....my daughter is now in college, though I've had the car much longer than the daughter. Boxster is a Tip for the wife.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:41 PM   #8

The only difference between a TIP engine and the Manual is the TIP has a slightly different plate connected to the water pump that allows water to goto the TIP. Just pull that off your TIP motor.

Boxster's don't blow head gaskets.

Likely cracked cylinder head or cracked cylinder liner.

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekelzer View Post
Thanks guys.

I'm crazy enough to try the rebuild myself as I know my way around suck, bang, blow devices, and once I drop the motor out and take a peak, I'll know more about what I'm looking at replacing.

Leaning HEAVILY on a used motor because I'm assuming I can drop $3000 in minor parts and gaskets pretty quickly trying to repair?

Since I'm new to Boxster, ASSUMING previous owner actually changed the oil, what is the typical "blow up" mileage....so when I'm searching used I know what mileage to avoid..

Mahalo,
Kelly.

p.s. Here's my 914....my daughter is now in college, though I've had the car much longer than the daughter. Boxster is a Tip for the wife.
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:41 PM   #9

Get a low buck used unit and slap it in. Drive it like you stole it while you rebuild your motor. When the replacement motor ********************s the bed, you are all set with its replacement.

Love the 914...miss mine.

Otto
Ottomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:40 AM   #10

Check this out:

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/d/1998-porsche-boxster-25/6706375434.html
Old 11-03-2018, 03:20 PM   #11

So sorry for you. Engine rebuild likely not in cards. Far cheaper to find running motor from a lower mileage wreck. I picked up a low mileage 2.5 a few years ago for $2200 and motor ran like champ for 4 race seasons and as far as I know still is running. Or you can do motor swap as suggested. There isn’t such a thing as cheap boxster m96 rebuild that I’m aware of yet if done right. M96 Motors are pretty much crap. I refused to buy 986 after I saw motor internals of one I blew on track. 9A1 motors so much better.

I’m moving to Kona area in next couple years. Building house on couple acres. Will be hauling Porsche’s there. At least there will be a couple boxster guys around!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grantsfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekelzer View Post
Thanks guys.

5,000-200,000. lol These motors can go at any mileage. IMHO, 70k-90k is a good mileage motor to buy. Not too little or too much. At a minimum I would change the IMS, water pump and timing chain tensioner pads on any used motor