Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2018, 07:29 AM   #1
Registered User
 
JBauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,021
Spoiler opinions

How do think this looks with a wing and a spoiler? I can remove the J Toth ducktail and put the factory piece back after wing is installed if I need to.
Attached Images
 
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:51 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 56
Got any shots from the side?.....

I've always been partial to a little taller spoiler, but this may look good, need a side view if you can.

Also, not sure what issues you may have with the spoiler AND the factory spoiler not working together.

Don't know how they air would flow over both of them, might be an issue at higher speeds?....

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
gonzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
MWS
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 410
I assume this would be mounted to your ztop?

My initial thoughts are concerns about stresses at speed on the hatch...or not just on the hatch but on the mountings to the hatch as well. Do you know any ztop owner that has a wing mounted?

Regarding looks...if you like it, that's all that's important.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:04 PM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 1,291
IMHO... far, far too wide.

But, if it rocks your boat... it's your car!
__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:52 PM   #5
Registered User
 
The Radium King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,916
eomak has one on his ztop, but with a tail base as well (for a 987). yours looks to be an aerokit spoiler which are designed for a fiberglass trunk lid. personally, i think a gt4 (or apr) wing works better w the z-top, but depends on the look you are going for.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:16 PM   #6
Registered User
 
JBauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
eomak has one on his ztop, but with a tail base as well (for a 987). yours looks to be an aerokit spoiler which are designed for a fiberglass trunk lid. personally, i think a gt4 (or apr) wing works better w the z-top, but depends on the look you are going for.
It supposed to be for a 996 or 997 according to the instruction. Im just glad it fits. Having a Ztop its hard to know what will match the angle of the hatch. Im going to paint it red and may remove the ducktail and put the factory spoiler top on it if need be. Thought about the apr wing but in the pics it looks huge.

Last edited by JBauer; 10-29-2018 at 07:20 PM.
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:17 PM   #7
Registered User
 
JBauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS View Post
I assume this would be mounted to your ztop?

My initial thoughts are concerns about stresses at speed on the hatch...or not just on the hatch but on the mountings to the hatch as well. Do you know any ztop owner that has a wing mounted?

Regarding looks...if you like it, that's all that's important.
I guess Ill find out here soon
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:29 PM   #8
Registered User
 
JBauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzzo View Post
Got any shots from the side?.....

I've always been partial to a little taller spoiler, but this may look good, need a side view if you can.

Also, not sure what issues you may have with the spoiler AND the factory spoiler not working together.

Don't know how they air would flow over both of them, might be an issue at higher speeds?....

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
Only side view at the moment

JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:20 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
Only side view at the moment

Ok, at this time I have to say nope.

But, that is MY opinion!, The nice thing about owning these cars is just that, YOU OWN IT!.....

So, put on your car whatever you want!, It's to your taste my friend.

Short life lesson, a long time back I was driving and dad was in passenger seat, a early 90's Lincoln Town car passed us, it was riding on 13" gold spoke wheels that stuck out about 6" clear of the fender!, I made a comment on their bad taste to which dad replied:

"They did not ask you for help or money to buy the car or the wheels, to that guy, that may be his dream car, he might be on top of the world in his mind, let him feel like a king, he owes you nothing and he's not hurting anyone".

Something to think about.....

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
gonzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:20 PM   #10
Registered User
 
JBauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,021
Still up in the air about whether to leave the ducktail on it. I'll decide after its painted. I think its gonna look nice once its red.
Just have to remember not to slam it 🙄



JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:50 AM   #11
Registered User
 
JBauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,021
Once I get it painted and a few more adjustments I thinks its gonna be fine.


.

Last edited by JBauer; 10-31-2018 at 09:12 AM.
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:15 AM   #12
Registered User
 
JBauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,021
Without ducktail
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:48 AM   #13
Custom User Title Here
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 5,924
Garage
Looks better without the duck tail, IMO.
I wouldn't leave it touching the rear fenders. It will rub and ruin the paint after a while.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:54 AM   #14
Registered User
 
JBauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Looks better without the duck tail, IMO.
I wouldn't leave it touching the rear fenders. It will rub and ruin the paint after a while.
I'm starting to think that too. I've got a fix for the height. Gotta pull the fuse on my factory spoiler too.
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:47 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tejas/NorCal
Posts: 200
I've been wanting to try an OEM GT4 wing on mine since parking next to a GT4 at the Pebble Beach car show.

I've always felt the one visual angle that suffers on the Z-top is the profile view without some extra "weight" on the rear section.

__________________
2001 Lapis Blue Boxster S Tip (stock), 2001 Guards Red Boxster 5-speed (not very stock)

Last edited by tightbox; 11-07-2018 at 09:27 AM.
tightbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:42 AM   #16
Registered User
 
JBauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by tightbox View Post
I've been wanting to try an OEM GT4 wing on mine since parking next to a GT4 at the Pebble Beach car show.

I've always felt the one visual angle that suffers on the Z-top is the profile view without some extra "weight" on the rear section.

Some might say it's faking or posing - I'd like to think my car was the original GT4 prototype, before Porsche would actually build it ! My car has all of the same go/stop/suspension, without any of the show.

Nice car, nice wheels 👌
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:47 AM   #17
Registered User
 
JBauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,021
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:57 PM   #18
98 Arctic silver 986
 
tommy583's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 1,226
Garage
I have the same wing on my car. It is the factory Aero kit 1. The wing is maybe 1/2 inch above the fender. Be careful to close it softly, the wing add quite a bit of weight.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:50 PM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tejas/NorCal
Posts: 200
Quote:
Nice car, nice wheels ��
Thanks!


On your Aerokit/Toth tests, I'd definitely do either one or the other. I think I like the Aerokit better. I also checked EOMAK's Z-top/wing, and it appears that it is not an OEM GT4 style/uprights, so I'm still unsure how that would look on our older cars.

Are you painting these parts at home? They look well done at web resolution!
__________________
2001 Lapis Blue Boxster S Tip (stock), 2001 Guards Red Boxster 5-speed (not very stock)

Last edited by tightbox; 11-01-2018 at 08:01 PM.
tightbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:43 AM   #20
Registered User
 
JBauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by tightbox View Post
Thanks!


On your Aerokit/Toth tests, I'd definitely do either one or the other. I think I like the Aerokit better. I also checked EOMAK's Z-top/wing, and it appears that it is not an OEM GT4 style/uprights, so I'm still unsure how that would look on our older cars.

Are you painting these parts at home? They look well done at web resolution!
I'm going with the aerokit. Now that its painted it doesn't stand out as much. Which is OK with me. I'll post dome pics once my battery gets charged 🙄

The paint came out pretty nice. I used basecoat with 2K clearcoat. That clearcoat is the best. Hard as a rock. I'll wet sand and buff it and it will be really nice.
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page