Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2024, 04:46 PM   #1

Second opinion on '99 boxster at auction

A 1999 Boxster base 2.5l with 130k miles has popped up at my local auction (surplus style auction, not copart). It's a bit rough, curbbed rims, over due rotors, light scuffs on the front and rear bumpers, needs interior detail... That sorta stuff. Fully running and driving, clean on the underside.

My main concerns is that it hasn't been maintained well, haven't bought a Carfax so no idea what the records are. First sign is the rotors are very worn, pretty decent lip on the rear, pads are fine though. And second sign is that the dipstick had a dark residue (almost like a single layer of black paint, see picture). I know Porsche recommends 12k mile oil changes, but I'm not sure if this tarnish is normal for a 130k mile engine. Final worry is that there was a slight rattle on startup that went away almost immediately, didn't rattle the second time after I let it sit for 10 minutes. I heard this was normal and assumed it had just been sitting for a couple weeks.

What are your thoughts about this, also what would be a decent price? I know this is kind of a general question for any car, but I wanted to ask 986 owners themselves.

TTINTERCEPT0R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 08:51 PM   #2

For comparison, I picked up my 2000 986 base a year ago for $5000. It had 155K miles on the clock, but it's in great condition inside and out and had been meticulously maintained, with a folder full of receipts to prove it. I think I'm in it right.
5-speed manual
LoneWolfGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 09:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfGal View Post
For comparison, I picked up my 2000 986 base a year ago for $5000. It had 155K miles on the clock, but it's in great condition inside and out and had been meticulously maintained, with a folder full of receipts to prove it. I think I'm in it right.
What does your dipstick look like though? I have no way of getting records other than buying a Carfax, which will only show shop records. My primary vehicle has a fully metal dipstick so I'm trying to figure out if the film is normal for plastic dipsticks. Last thing I want is a Porsche that's gone 20k+ miles without changing oil. I've seen what heads look like when prolonged oil changes happen, they get coated with brown film.
Old 01-13-2024, 07:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTINTERCEPT0R View Post
What does your dipstick look like though? I have no way of getting records other than buying a Carfax, which will only show shop records. My primary vehicle has a fully metal dipstick so I'm trying to figure out if the film is normal for plastic dipsticks. Last thing I want is a Porsche that's gone 20k+ miles without changing oil. I've seen what heads look like when prolonged oil changes happen, they get coated with brown film.
Wish I could give you a prompt answer, but it's 11 degrees outside and snowing, and my 986 is under a car cover. As soon as weather permits, I'll post a photo of its dipstick. As I recall, though, it didn't look like the one you posted.
5-speed manual
LoneWolfGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 07:13 AM   #5

Oil Dip Stick color at 51k

My Boxster ‘98 oil dip stick color. The rattling you described sounds like worn out chain tensioners.
Attached Images

Last edited by Gigi; 01-15-2024 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Photo missing.
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 08:52 AM   #6

You can probably pick it up for less than $2K. At that price it will allow you to freshen it up and/or punt it down the road depending on what you find.
JSWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 07:08 AM   #7

The bid ended up going to 5k and sold. I didn't buy it. Too many red flags maintenance wise. When I tell you those brakes were bad, holy crap man, the rotors had never been turned or replaced. And yeah like you said, 2k would have been worth it.
Old 01-22-2024, 01:53 PM   #8

Next

Keep looking there will be others.
JSWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 05:58 AM   #9

My dad liked to say "there's always another car around the corner".

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote