Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2018, 11:34 AM   #1

Most common source of internal exhaust rattle?

I have a 2002 "S" model. I have an internal exhaust rattle that only starts when the exhaust is hot. I checked the usual source, the shields on the cats, and it's not them. I've gotten under the car when it's hot and listened but I can't zero in on it. It's relatively quiet at idle, it's fairly loud on hard acceleration and definitely at its worst on deceleration. Is it typically the cats on the exhaust manifolds, the secondary cats, or the muffler that usually cause this?

Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 02:47 PM   #2

My 98 base also had an exhaust rattle. This was with an aftermarket Dansk sport exhaust. It only happened when the exhaust was cold. It turned out that the perforated "shields" in the exhaust tips (what is their purpose anyway?) were loose. With some wire and the Permatex muffler repair paste I was able to secure them and the rattle hasn't returned since. I am not familiar with the S muffler but you may want to tap the various components of the exhaust system including the clamps with a rubber mallet with the car off to see where there is a loose part
Old 10-21-2018, 02:56 PM   #3

I've tried tapping it, etc - no way to reproduce. I think I just have to start replacing parts until it disappears. Just looking for the most common place to start. Anyone?
Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:44 PM   #4
Who's askin'?

Factory exhaust, or aftermarket?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:08 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Factory exhaust, or aftermarket?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Mine was rattling/buzzing when cold. Found it was inside the muffler and it was likely a baffle that broke loose. I bought a low mileage take off on Ebay and the problem when away. I could reproduce it by banging in the underbelly of the muffler.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:29 PM   #6

Cats can definitely rattle. The interior melts a bit and they get noisy. If that is the case, there could be some other issue as well causing the cat/s to overheat. I would expect it would be replicable with a hammer test though. Can you pinpoint the side? Maybe start the car drive it a bit, get it hot and crawl under with someone at the throttle. Might be able to pinpoint that way.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:30 AM   #7

If you are just going to start replacing parts I would start with rear cat delete pipes . You will eliminate one pair of cats that could be your source of rattle and you'll free up the exhaust a little bit so a win/win . Assuming you have eliminated any heat shielding as the rattle source you would then be down to front cats or the muffler/exhaust tips .

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote