Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2006, 04:51 PM   #1

New Engine Pre Run In--- How is this so??

I have just had a new engine put in my '03 under Extended Warranty. I asked for running in instructions and was advised that new engines are pre run in. I'm maybe old fashioned but I thought that at least 2or 3000ks. gentle treatment would be desirable before some lead was applied to the right foot!
Please could somebody bring me up to speed on this issue.
Thanks ,
Glenn

insatiable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 05:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by insatiable
I have just had a new engine put in my '03 under Extended Warranty. I asked for running in instructions and was advised that new engines are pre run in. I'm maybe old fashioned but I thought that at least 2or 3000ks. gentle treatment would be desirable before some lead was applied to the right foot!
Please could somebody bring me up to speed on this issue.
Thanks ,
Glenn
Hi,

I'm sure they're bench run, besides, all the internals are probably not new, just checked and found to be in spec, as new. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:31 PM   #3

There is a great debate on how best to "break-in" an engine.

Hopefully, this thread will not start another.

Personally, I take it a bit easy on new engines.

That is just me.

Good luck with the new engine.

PS-what happened to the old engine? Cause of failure?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
There is a great debate on how best to "break-in" an engine.

Hopefully, this thread will not start another.

Personally, I take it a bit easy on new engines.

That is just me.

Good luck with the new engine.

PS-what happened to the old engine? Cause of failure?
Hi,

I agree, it's best to take it easy with any New engine. But, I think you need to make a distinction here between a New engine and what Porsche refers to in all it's internal literature and TSBs as a Replacement Engine, not a new engine. I think we'd find there to be a distinct difference.

I have a good friend who is South African, but lives in California. He came to this country 20 years ago as a Factory Trained Lotus Mechanic, working for Lotus USA, whose job it was to take failed warranty engines and rebuild them for Lotus.

These were stripped and any faulty parts replaced, while all others were measured and if found within spec were reintroduced into the new engine. The reassembled engines were then shelved as certified replacement engines.

I suspect Porsche operates under much the same procedures, albeit perhaps not located in the US. This would explain why the replacement engines don't require the standard break-in that a truly new engine would require. If you read the Dealer TSBs on replacement engines, you'll find that many of the ancillaries, such as waterpumps, alternators, intakes, etc. are not supplied with the replacement engines and must be exchanged with the failed warranty engine. This says, to me at least, that Porsche is using replacement cores and not total engines...

Old 09-10-2006, 02:40 AM   #5
FIG

Hi Glenn,

What part of Oz are you from....I'm in Melb.

I too had my boxster engine replaced under factory warranty, I too asked the same question about "run-in". I was told it was pre-run-in as well. I've put about 1500K's on it, and the service tech suggested to "Drive it like you stole it" Everthing feels nice and tight......all good!!

He suggested that the engine needs to cop a bit now!

Porsche Centre Melb. have been awsome (to say the least), I dont mind paying a bit more for the service....it's worth it!!!!

Cheers
Roni
FIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 06:53 AM   #6

Pre-run my a$$! Who in the world is going to run an uninstalled engine, at varying speeds, for approximately 25 - 25 hours to get the 1500 miles? It wouldn't be under load and it wouldn't have any cool down. Sure it's been pre-run to the point that they made sure it actually works - but pre-run to the point that everything is seated properly and ready for all out revs? I don't think so.
I have this picture in my head of all these engines in a warehouse being pre-run with guys in white labcoats and clipboards walking around taking measurements.

Skipping the whole "how to break in an engine" thread (which I also could do without) - I agree with Jim and BruceLee to treat any new engine as a new engine. It can't hurt while running it "like you stole it" definately could.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 07:33 AM   #7

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

I agree, it's best to take it easy with any New engine. But, I think you need to make a distinction here between a New engine and what Porsche refers to in all it's internal literature and TSBs as a Replacement Engine, not a new engine. I think we'd find there to be a distinct difference.

I have a good friend who is South African, but lives in California. He came to this country 20 years ago as a Factory Trained Lotus Mechanic, working for Lotus USA, whose job it was to take failed warranty engines and rebuild them for Lotus.

These were stripped and any faulty parts replaced, while all others were measured and if found within spec were reintroduced into the new engine. The reassembled engines were then shelved as certified replacement engines.

I suspect Porsche operates under much the same procedures, albeit perhaps not located in the US. This would explain why the replacement engines don't require the standard break-in that a truly new engine would require. If you read the Dealer TSBs on replacement engines, you'll find that many of the ancillaries, such as waterpumps, alternators, intakes, etc. are not supplied with the replacement engines and must be exchanged with the failed warranty engine. This says, to me at least, that Porsche is using replacement cores and not total engines...

According to my service manager, the replacement engines that Porsche uses are actually new motors. However, they do reuse certain external parts, such as fuel injection units, pulleys etc.

In that sense, they cannot claim that the engine in "new" but I have been assured that the block and all internals are all brand new.

For what it is worth1

Old 09-10-2006, 09:37 AM   #8
bmussatti

If it were mine, I would keep it under 4,200 RPM for the first 2,000 miles. I would also change the oil at the 1,000 mile mark. This is exactly how I did the break-in for my car this spring.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:40 PM   #9
FIG

Let me assure you all....my engine was TOTALLY new EVERY part of it!!!!!!
Not some parts but all!!!! I saw it come out of the crate (from Germany) and examined every square inch of the sucker, there was no "re-used" parts!

And, I think I'd rather take the advice of the people who are going to warranty the car (being Porsche themselves), than someone who thinks they may? know what's best for the engine! They say to run it in a certain way....thats the way I'm gunna do it!

*Walk in to Porsche with problem with engine.*

They ask: Did you drive it like we told you?
Answer: No, some guys on some Forum said to take it easy.
They say: Thats great, you listen to them, not us, why dont you get them to come here and fix it then!

Good thanks!!!
Old 09-10-2006, 01:05 PM   #10

Smile

"Let me assure you all....my engine was TOTALLY new EVERY part of it!!!!!!
Not some parts but all!!!! I saw it come out of the crate (from Germany) and examined every square inch of the sucker, there was no "re-used" parts!"

With all due respect to you, you could not possibly tell if a reconditioned pulley or Fuel Injection unit were with your new motor.

These items are brought back up to spec and likely may have had 5K on them when they were pulled from another warranty failure.

Not to worry, the engine is new for all practical purposes.

At least that is what my service manager tells me.

And that is why Porsche does not use the term "new engine" but rather, "replacement engine." At least that is what they told my neighbor when here 12K engine let go last winter.

Old 09-10-2006, 01:06 PM   #11
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIG
Let me assure you all....my engine was TOTALLY new EVERY part of it!!!!!!
Not some parts but all!!!! I saw it come out of the crate (from Germany) and examined every square inch of the sucker, there was no "re-used" parts!

And, I think I'd rather take the advice of the people who are going to warranty the car (being Porsche themselves), than someone who thinks they may? know what's best for the engine! They say to run it in a certain way....thats the way I'm gunna do it!

*Walk in to Porsche with problem with engine.*

They ask: Did you drive it like we told you?
Answer: No, some guys on some Forum said to take it easy.
They say: Thats great, you listen to them, not us, why dont you get them to come here and fix it then!

Good thanks!!!

FIG, just so you know, the break-in that I described, is exactly what the Porsche owners guide instructs. They also include some additional information about varying the RPM's and not to lug the engine.

The 1,000 mile oil change recommendation is purely my own additional step.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:21 PM   #12

In NSW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIG
Hi Glenn,

What part of Oz are you from....I'm in Melb.

I too had my boxster engine replaced under factory warranty, I too asked the same question about "run-in". I was told it was pre-run-in as well. I've put about 1500K's on it, and the service tech suggested to "Drive it like you stole it" Everthing feels nice and tight......all good!!

He suggested that the engine needs to cop a bit now!

Porsche Centre Melb. have been awsome (to say the least), I dont mind paying a bit more for the service....it's worth it!!!!

Cheers
Roni
Thanks for contact. I'm at Laurieton just south of Port Macquarie.
Like you I am all praise for Porsche Aust. and their Insurance people Mondial. My work was done under the Extended Warranty.
However, why do they have an engine fail at 27000kms.in this day and age? In my case the "jack shaft" bearing failed and cracked the casing dumping about 8 L. of oil.
Reading these responses their seems to be opinions as to whether the new engine is really new or a rebuild. Do you have any info. on this?
Old 09-10-2006, 04:36 PM   #13

New Engine --Pre run in????

Thanks Guys for these comments.
I had assumed the engine was new and not a rebuild or thereabouts. I did note that the new engine No. is some 160,000 newer than the original which would have been built about Dec 02 .
Guess I will er on the side of caution and keep the lead out of the right foot for a while.
As to the reson for the failure at 27000kms. I was told the "jack shaft " bearing failed and cracked the housing which is why I dumped about 8l. of oil onto the road! Which begs the question what is the jack shaft?
Cheers,
Glenn
Old 09-10-2006, 07:39 PM   #14

Quote:
I had assumed the engine was new and not a rebuild or thereabouts. I did note that the new engine No. is some 160,000 newer than the original which would have been built about Dec 02 .
Guess I will er on the side of caution and keep the lead out of the right foot for a while.
As to the reson for the failure at 27000kms. I was told the "jack shaft " bearing failed and cracked the housing which is why I dumped about 8l. of oil onto the road! Which begs the question what is the jack shaft?
Cheers,
Glenn
I think this is the intermediate shaft. This is the same issue my neighbor had.

Not uncommon I hear.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:26 PM   #15
FIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
FIG, just so you know, the break-in that I described, is exactly what the Porsche owners guide instructs. They also include some additional information about varying the RPM's and not to lug the engine.

The 1,000 mile oil change recommendation is purely my own additional step.

I was also told that Porsche state what they do in the owners' manual to save peoples' lives

They say (so I've been told), that people have a tendancy to "see what it can do" straight after they buy the car! We all know driving a Porsche is not like driving a normal passenger vehicle and it handles totally different. There have been many cases (again, so I've been told), that new Porsche owners have come undone due to speeds/handling they are not used to in the car, therefore "stay under in Rev's"???? to run it in (get used to the car)????

I dont know how much is Fact / Fiction but I do know that the car definately behaves different to the Common or Garden variety car.

Ahh....I guess the "Truth is out there"???????
Old 09-10-2006, 09:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Cheers,
Glenn
Hi,

It's a little disturbing if your engine number is sequential. This is because Porsche has built only 160,000 Boxsters in total since '96.

If your engine # is sequential, it would suggest that they have produced some 40,000+ engines than they have actual cars, and that's just through '03. It would indicate an excess of about 130,000 engines in all.

I hope they weren't anticipating the need for these as it would indicate about a 25% failure rate. Wouldn't you love to know what they know, but we don't...and they're not telling...??

Old 09-11-2006, 04:42 PM   #17

Engine # sequence --Jim99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

It's a little disturbing if your engine number is sequential. This is because Porsche has built only 160,000 Boxsters in total since '96.

If your engine # is sequential, it would suggest that they have produced some 40,000+ engines than they have actual cars, and that's just through '03. It would indicate an excess of about 130,000 engines in all.

I hope they weren't anticipating the need for these as it would indicate about a 25% failure rate. Wouldn't you love to know what they know, but we don't...and they're not telling...??

Hi, Jim 99,
I think I may have confused with the #'s I quoted.
The original eng.# was 65305353 in a Jan.03 build however, the replacement eng.# is 65465750 and was put in 3 weeks ago. I'm assuming the numbers run sequentually for each engine size therefore 160397 engines have been built between these dates.
Does this tally with your thinking?
Cheers,
Glenn

Last edited by insatiable; 09-11-2006 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Change title
Old 09-11-2006, 08:51 PM   #18

All this 03 engine replacement talk is making me nervous! Maybe it's just me but it seems like I hardly ever see or hear of the 3.2L's failing compared to the 2.7L's. I know the pool of 2.7's floating around out there is larger, but it makes me wonder. I wish we had access to some hard statistics!

Last edited by Adam; 09-11-2006 at 08:55 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote