Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2004, 07:14 AM   #1
mcd
Forum Member

Unhappy rookie top /window failure?

made possibly bad rookie top mistake.
took 97 out for maiden spring voyage,all went great until I dropped top. heard a pop, looked back , clear plexiglass has 2
3" rips running vertically spaced evenly just inside window sides.
Outside temp was 40 deg F. this is my first conv so I am searching for good top maint/ knowledge.
I have 2 question, 1 has anyone had just the clear vinyl replaced.
2 is there a conditioner that would have prevented this or was this temp related?
thankyou for any useable input that you have/ e mail of
someone who had same expirence.
sincerily MCD.

mcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 01:27 PM   #2
b0xt0La

It could be temp related or it's just time to replace the top. 40 degrees is not that cold but could be enough to cause a crack. I had a plastic window replacement when mine cracked, cost about $500. I wouldn't touch the top if it wasn't atleast 50 degrees. 40 degrees is too damn cold But I heard the heated seats are very good when putting the top down in a cold weather.
Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 02:17 PM   #3

55 degrees is about as cold as I can stand to put the top down, and thats with the heated seats on, the windows up, and the climate control set at about 80 Really the only part that gets cold are my hands. I guess I need some driving gloves.

I would imagine the window tear cold weather problem is related to how old the car is and the conditions that they car lived in.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:51 PM   #4

I have a 97 and the same thing has happened to mine. I am taking my convertible top off and going to an upholstery shop to have a new window sewn in. I'm doing it this week. Wish me luck. The price for this was only $100. My top is like new, and I wanted to save a couple bucks. When I talked to the upholstery shop, they told me not to lower the top under 65-70 degrees. They said the same thing happens on old cars that have vinyl seat covers on them. When the seat covers got too cold they pop and crack. They also said this happens to old cars with a vinyl top. They said when the vinly tops get cold and an acorn or debris falls on the vinyl, the vinyl gets small cracks that get larger. All I know is that when I get my window replaced the top is staying up until at least 70 degrees.

Do the newer Boxsters have real glass back there, and is there a way to get this top in my 97?
daman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 05:37 PM   #5

Not that I'm aware of. I think the new '03 canvas top has an extra ribbing in it instead of three to acommodate the new glass window.

tomatjs is offline   Reply With Quote