Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2018, 11:15 AM   #1

Has anyone successfully installed H7 led replacement bulbs in your factory headlamp h

Hi all:

Did a bit of a search but found posts were older and had no solid information.

So I figured I'd ask the question, has anyone successfully installed H7 led bulbs in your factory headlamp housing?....

I looked at the eBay led headlamp offerings but 1st, $1k sound steep for that and 2nd, have read bad things, leaks, failed emitters, bad customer service, etc......

Let's keep on track here, I'm not asking about wether or not these bulbs should be used in factory housings, moral?, Legal?.....

I just want to know if anyone has done it, how did you do it, what did you use and do you like the results.

As always, please and thank you for your time.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

gonzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:32 PM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I have for both low and high beams.

The LEDs are the tiny variety that are in the same location as the halogen filaments to better work with the reflectors. Also the resistor packs are small, and the cooling fins are of the copper ribbon type.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
Were they any better ?
marsheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:30 AM   #4

Quote:

The LEDs are the tiny variety that are in the same location as the halogen filaments to better work with the reflectors. Also the resistor packs are small, and the cooling fins are of the copper ribbon type.
How did you get the locking springs to swing over the big ass heat sinks?..... that's the one thing that has me baffled and worried.......

Did you like the results?......

Do you remember what brand and model you used?.....

Thanks for your time.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
gonzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:14 AM   #5
still plays with cars...

Garage
Jonesing for info too.
Sorry for butting in.

What brand of bulb and also interested in how the access covers fit back on, if they do.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:51 PM   #6

Tag

I want to know as well
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:56 AM   #7

I've not done this, but regarding "How did you get the locking springs to swing over the big ass heat sinks?..... that's the one thing that has me baffled and worried......."

... they generally come with a separate adapter plate for the particular fitting (h7 etc), you just clip that in, then the bulb twists into the base plate.

https://youtu.be/kMcruu_QGks?t=3m18s
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:58 AM   #8
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsheng View Post
Were they any better ?
Definitely. Does add a touch of glare, but nothing excessive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzzo View Post
How did you get the locking springs to swing over the big ass heat sinks?..... that's the one thing that has me baffled and worried.......
I removed the spring clips to install the lights, then reinstalled once the LEDs were in the socket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
Jonesing for info too.
Sorry for butting in.

What brand of bulb and also interested in how the access covers fit back on, if they do.
Since I used the type with the copper ribbon as heatsink, the stock covers fit back on correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
I want to know as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool73 View Post
I've not done this, but regarding "How did you get the locking springs to swing over the big ass heat sinks?..... that's the one thing that has me baffled and worried......."

... they generally come with a separate adapter plate for the particular fitting (h7 etc), you just clip that in, then the bulb twists into the base plate.

https://youtu.be/kMcruu_QGks?t=3m18s
This is the style I used:

The vendor I got them from no longer has them available, however any in the same form-factor should work.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Old 10-01-2018, 11:33 AM   #9

LED headlights

I have converted just about everything I own to LED. It's been awhile but I do remember having to bend the hold down spring off to the side to get it to fit. I installed high and low beams and they have been a very nice improvement.
Twin headlight Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:51 PM   #10

you guys must have been lucky. I've tried 4 different brands...the beam pattern all suck
geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:16 PM   #11

I did HID xenon in mine. LED’s are too $$$ IMO. If I were going to spend that much I would just buy factory HID lamps and call it good.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:59 AM   #12

Hi all-

I just installed LED lamps from amazon- Dr.Auto H7 bulbs and they kick butt over my piaa bulbs that were in the car. I used the fanless type with the ribbon heat sinks and the only issue was that they do not have the recess for the clips as the base is totally flat where those two tabs come down. With some trial and error, I got them to fit very snugly with stock clips and spread out the heat sink ribbon inside the headlamp. For 19.99$ a pair, the 40$ upgrade is very worth it! Does not have the nice cutoff as a factory xenon but the color temp is great.

I know have all LED’s in the car! Just a few interior bulbs to replace...

These lights are well built and since they are so cheap I orders a few sets for backups and might convert the fogs at some point for fun.

Edit: $15.99 a pair!

Dr.Auto H7 LED Headlight Bulbs 6000K for Car, Extremely Bright CSP Chips Lights Conversion Kit with Heat Dissipation Belt (Fanless), 80W 9600Lumen (1Pair) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KP2NRRT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BE0iEbRH6331N

Quote:
Definitely. Does add a touch of glare, but nothing excessive.

I removed the spring clips to install the lights, then reinstalled once the LEDs were in the socket.

Since I used the type with the copper ribbon as heatsink, the stock covers fit back on correctly.

This is the style I used:

The vendor I got them from no longer has them available, however any in the same form-factor should work.

Last edited by aparke4; 01-18-2020 at 09:01 AM.
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:02 AM   #13
Track rat

Garage
I tried a set but couldn't get a good focused beam and light sprayed all over the place with no high cutoff. I didn't want to be "that guy" so back they went. I had better luck in my Tacoma where the beam pattern and cutoff seemed much better. Tested on my garage door at 20'.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:20 PM   #14
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Later on in the year I'm going to upgrade to a high-quality set of H7 LEDs for the low beams and revert the high beams to halogen. I don't use the high beams very often and would be nice to not have a high beam indicator come on with the fog lights and also not have to install resistors.

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R