Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 11:00 PM   #1

Clamshell alignment

So, I’ve searched this and can’t quite figure out the exact way to adjust this. My clamshell sits “off” a bit to the right (pass) side. The trim gap is smaller on the right than the left. I’ve read Mike F’s page and understand the height adjustments, but I can’t figure out how to adjust it left to right and vice versa. Top raises and lowers fine, and the clamshell is flush height wise. It’s as though it needs to be tweaked to the left a few MM. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Images

Last edited by Geof3; 09-10-2018 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Added photos
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:10 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
So, I’ve searched this and can’t quite figure out the exact way to adjust this. My clamshell sits “off” a bit to the right (pass) side. The trim gap is smaller on the right than the left. I’ve read Mike F’s page and understand the height adjustments, but I can’t figure out how to adjust it left to right and vice versa. Top raises and lowers fine, and the clamshell is flush height wise. It’s as though it needs to be tweaked to the left a few MM. Any help would be appreciated.
Likewise. Mine isn't as pronounced, but I know it's there.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:09 AM   #3

looks like it actually has to be shifted back 1/16" or so, and in the act of moving rearward it will also move out a bit. there may be enough play in the bolts that mount the clamshell to the bracket to accomplish that?
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
looks like it actually has to be shifted back 1/16" or so, and in the act of moving rearward it will also move out a bit. there may be enough play in the bolts that mount the clamshell to the bracket to accomplish that?
Are you talking about the rail the mechanism runs on? The lever arms are all pivot pins with no real adjustment. The bolts that connect the arms to the channel rail do have an eccentric bolt, but that seems to adjust the height along with the other various adjustment points. I can’t figure out any other options short of perhaps the cable timing is a tiny bit off, or perhaps one is stretched. I haven’t looked at the motor/cable connection yet, I don’t really want to mess things up just for a relatively minor body line issue...
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #5

Garage
If only one side of the top mechanism was doing all the work, it may have bent the inner body panel where the transmission bolts to the car. This happened to me. Check your cables.

Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote