986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Clamshell alignment (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/73232-clamshell-alignment.html)

Geof3 09-09-2018 11:00 PM

Clamshell alignment

2 Attachment(s)
So, I’ve searched this and can’t quite figure out the exact way to adjust this. My clamshell sits “off” a bit to the right (pass) side. The trim gap is smaller on the right than the left. I’ve read Mike F’s page and understand the height adjustments, but I can’t figure out how to adjust it left to right and vice versa. Top raises and lowers fine, and the clamshell is flush height wise. It’s as though it needs to be tweaked to the left a few MM. Any help would be appreciated.

Starter986 09-16-2018 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geof3 (Post 579008)
So, I’ve searched this and can’t quite figure out the exact way to adjust this. My clamshell sits “off” a bit to the right (pass) side. The trim gap is smaller on the right than the left. I’ve read Mike F’s page and understand the height adjustments, but I can’t figure out how to adjust it left to right and vice versa. Top raises and lowers fine, and the clamshell is flush height wise. It’s as though it needs to be tweaked to the left a few MM. Any help would be appreciated.

Likewise. Mine isn't as pronounced, but I know it's there. :confused:

The Radium King 09-16-2018 09:09 AM

looks like it actually has to be shifted back 1/16" or so, and in the act of moving rearward it will also move out a bit. there may be enough play in the bolts that mount the clamshell to the bracket to accomplish that?

Geof3 09-16-2018 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Radium King (Post 579392)
looks like it actually has to be shifted back 1/16" or so, and in the act of moving rearward it will also move out a bit. there may be enough play in the bolts that mount the clamshell to the bracket to accomplish that?

Are you talking about the rail the mechanism runs on? The lever arms are all pivot pins with no real adjustment. The bolts that connect the arms to the channel rail do have an eccentric bolt, but that seems to adjust the height along with the other various adjustment points. I can’t figure out any other options short of perhaps the cable timing is a tiny bit off, or perhaps one is stretched. I haven’t looked at the motor/cable connection yet, I don’t really want to mess things up just for a relatively minor body line issue...

Blackcloud 09-18-2018 12:54 PM

If only one side of the top mechanism was doing all the work, it may have bent the inner body panel where the transmission bolts to the car. This happened to me. Check your cables.