Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2018, 06:00 AM   #1

Garage
IMS shaft: replace single row with double

I am in the process of rebuilding a 2002 2.7 (which has a single row ims) and wondered why the single row ims shaft couldn't be replaced with a double row shaft. Is there any reason that wouldn't work? The double has reportedly been much more reliable but I'm worried about differences in timing chain line or the dimensions or number of teeth on the sprockets.****

dlud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:28 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlud View Post
I am in the process of rebuilding a 2002 2.7 (which has a single row ims) and wondered why the single row ims shaft couldn't be replaced with a double row shaft. Is there any reason that wouldn't work? The double has reportedly been much more reliable but I'm worried about differences in timing chain line or the dimensions or number of teeth on the sprockets.****
I have a double row IMS to do that with but you also need a different crankshaft since the chain drive teeth are different.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:12 AM   #3

Why bother? The LN Single Row Pro IMS Retrofit kit offers a dual row answer in a single row package.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlud View Post
As mentioned, you would need to take the engine apart and make some significant changes. And if you are looking for reliability, put an IMS Solution in the engine.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
As mentioned, you would need to take the engine apart and make some significant changes. And if you are looking for reliability, put an IMS Solution in the engine.

+1...By far, it's the most reliable way to go.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #6

Garage
Thanks all.

dlud is offline   Reply With Quote